Thread: Leupold M3 turret set screws

Team Savage

Leupold M3 turret set screws

I have acquired an older Leupold MK4 M3 10X scope. The turret is specific for the 308WIN cartridge, with adjustments in yards. Or so it appears. All of the hex set screws in the elevation and windage turrets are stripped. I want to order replacements and hex keys from Fastenal. They've come through for me in the past. Does anybody know what the thread size is for these set screws? What is the diameter of the screw? What is the usual hex key size? It may be .050. I will email Leupold customer service as well. I've read other forums and posters state that the service department doesn't know what the thread size is, but will send one free (?) I'd like to buy a bunch. Also has anybody tried using set screws with Torx heads? Seems like they would be less likely to strip. In other forums, responders mention black set screws for turret use, in lieu of the silver set screws, which are prone to stripping. I assume it's a different material, or is it just a coating? Thanks for any feedback.

Good Lord what a mess of a cds system....
    Leopold doesn't make those scopes, they merely assemble them; but should know about the sizing. Given they only assemble, they may not keep "spares" on hand. The color has nothing to due with the strength of them. No need, unless it makes you happy, to go to Torx or anything else. Keep Ham-handed baboons away from tools and things they don't understand, and they won't strip nor come loose.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    My personal experience with Leupold service and advise over many years has been excellant.
    Their # is 800 538 7653, ask for tech help. Chances are they might send you a few screws
    or advise you as to what size they are. Im sure its a standard hardware item that would be
    found at any well stocked store also. Snug is enough, no need for really tight.