Thread: Model 10 heavy barrel question

crit1

Model 10 heavy barrel question

a local gun shop has a model 10, .308, choate stock by Plaster, 20 inch heavy barrel, on its shelf. The price is reasonable, but I was wondering if Savage offered this combination or was it a custom build? If they did offer it sometime ago, any ideas when? And of course, how did they shoot?
    thanks in advance
    Crit1

I don't recall the model 10 ever being offered with the Maj. Plaster sniper stock. That stock is really heavy.

greyghost
    It should shoot really well,

I bought a .223 that was blued and stainless in the plaster stock and it was right from the factory like that. It was made in the 1990's.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

crit1
    thanks for the replies, fellas.

As stated the 10FP did come in the Choate/Plaster stock, mid to late Nineties. That was about the time I made my PD's sniper team and was told to order my choice of rifle, within a budget of course. I ordered the 10FP, but passed on that stock option and went with the standard stock. Which we ended up replacing with a McMillan A2. As I recall the Choate is heavy and stiff, it should shoot very well.

Huntin1

Depends on which "Maj. John Plaster" stock it is as Choate makes three and only two were ever offered as OEM from the factory on the 10/110FP.

The "Sniper" version shown below with the wedge-like forearm was never offered on a factory gun.

The "Varmint" version shown below with the beavertail forearm was offered for several yeas on a factory gun.

The "Sniper Folder" version shown below was also offered for several years on a factory gun.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

crit1
    Thanks for the replies. The stock on the gun is the varmint model. Thanks for clearing that up. The barrel is approximately 20 inches, and what I'd call a heavy target, heavier than what's shown, anyway. And I agree it's a pretty heavy gun.

crit1 I have a 10 fp with the Plaster folding stock and a heavy 20 inch 308 barrel. I traded for it and did not shoot it before stripping it and rebarreling it with a 260 AI barrel and another stock. I have been thinking about selling the stock and barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by jonbearman View Post
    I bought a .223 that was blued and stainless in the plaster stock and it was right from the factory like that. It was made in the 1990's.
    I love this site, ya learn something new every day!

Quote Originally Posted by jonbearman View Post
    That was likely a Model 12, not a Model 10. Savage offered a Model 12 with the Plaster Varmint stock that had a blued action and stainless barrel for a couple of years.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    That was the 12 VSS. It came out in 2001 to 2002. The barrel profile was slightly heavier than a varmint profile (.910). It also came with a Sharp Shooter competition trigger.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."