Thread: Just bought a used Mark II Heavy Barrel .22 LR, with the plastic stock -

Basic Member

Just bought a used Mark II Heavy Barrel .22 LR, with the plastic stock -

I had never seen one before. I was in a LGS talking to someone, and made the mistake of looking around, and saw this little hole in the fat barrel...I got the rifle with a mounted Simmons 2X9 scope and a leather military type sling for $175.

I have no idea what I will use it for, but I imagine it would be a pretty accurate shooter with decent ammo.

This is an older version, I guess, blue, without the accutrigger, but the trigger is very light and smooth with a crisp break, so I don't feel like I missed much. Seems like a good little rifle. From what I have just read, it is a short action - 7 1/4" rifle, SN is 705584...

Any experience with these?

Thanks.

Mark
    Last edited by dogngun; 02-05-2015 at 04:37 PM.

Basic Member
    The older Mark II rifles are good. You might find that you will want to change the stock for something else. I have a Mark II GL in 17m2 with the heavy barrel and it's very accurate. The trigger on mine is nice. My new BTVL has the accu trigger and the GL doesn't, not much difference in the triggers that I can tell.

hombre243
    Quote Originally Posted by dogngun View Post
    I had never seen one before. I was in a LGS talking to someone, and made the mistake of looking around, and saw this little hole in the fat barrel...I got the rifle with a mounted Simmons 2X9 scope and a leather military type sling for $175.

I have no idea what I will use it for, but I imagine it would be a pretty accurate shooter with decent ammo.

This is an older version, I guess, blue, without the accutrigger, but the trigger is very light and smooth with a crisp break, so I don't feel like I missed much. Seems like a good little rifle. From what I have just read, it is a short action - 7 1/4" rifle, SN is 705584...

Any experience with these?

Thanks.

Mark

Mine has the AccuTrigger but they are basically the same. Here are some targets I shot with mine.

In the last picture there are 10 shots, and 6 of them are inside the black circle I drew. I wish I could remember which ammo I used. But I believe they were the golden remmies. Yep...found the original pic. Labeled with the Remington Gold HP.
    Last edited by hombre243; 02-05-2015 at 11:52 PM.

Basic Member
    I am going to take it down and see how I feel about the stock...and will get another scope, too. Thanks!

Basic Member
    What is your budget for a new scope? I just put a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 3-9x40 on my BTVL and am happy with it. It was $140.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    What is your budget for a new scope? I just put a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 3-9x40 on my BTVL and am happy with it. It was $140.

Have not even considered it yet, but I will keep that in mind - thanks.

I have a used one with a Tacticool stock & 3x12 older japan bushnell that I paid $275/shipped for that shoots great. The 1st box of Tac-22 I tried shot a 5 shot 75 yard group .325 outside to outside which is great for me & it hasn't been bedded or any other work done but I'm afraid to try to improve it. Can't beat Savage IMHO.
    [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain[/FONT][/COLOR]

Basic Member
    I took it down, cleaned it and shimmed the stock with aluminum. Got a BSA 2.5 x 10 40mm scope and I am looking for better rings, probably Weaver steel when I can find a set. Turns out it came into the LGS with a Nikon scope and bipod, both of which were removed and are being sold separately...and a Simmons 3x9 scope was put on.

I ordered a cheek rest and 2 10 round mags, and lubed the works with gear grease.

I have no idea when I will get to shoot it, but it seems like a nice little rifle.

kpaul
    I just put a PROSTAFF 3-9x40 Rimfire Matte BDC 150 on my Mark II FSS, haven't had a chance to sight it in yet! I went with Warne M824/824 base and Warne "High" 1" Quick Detach Rings. I do like the look.