Thread: Who has an interesting combo, scope iron sight setup

Team Savage

Who has an interesting combo, scope iron sight setup

Either view through rings or a removable scope setup. I am not big on removable scopes, but if it will come back to within 1/2" that's fine.
    View through rings usually put the scope up too high for my taste.

I am upgrading my hog rifle a bit.

Its a 338/284 and I am setting it up to shoot heavy high BC bullets, like a 250 gr Sierra GK or 250 gr Lapua Scenar.
    Its on a long action so I can hang the bullets out far and can get about 2500 fps from a 19" barrel.
    100% hunting rifle.

One field I hunt in is about 800 yards so I want like a 4-16x scope that mils or ranges at 16X.
    All fine and dandy, but this is the same rifle I like to take into the woods with a heavy round nose bullet
    and a 4-16x does not cut it in the woods. In that situation I would just rather have iron sights or a 1-4X.

I have been thinking about a picatinny rail mounted peep sight, maybe like for an AR15.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tnumber=486921

with this front band sight and insert
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tnumber=743094

BTW how do these things mount to the barrel ??

For a scope I don't know which scopes mil at its highest power like 14x,16x,18x except maybe the sightrons.

The Nikon BDC reticles ranges at 12X, but I could just rework it for 16X
    The Nikon buckmaster 4.5-14x mildot looks nice.

I want a lot of eye relief too, like 4" and maybe $300-$350

A Burris SixX 2-12X would be nice and thats wide enough I dont need iron sights.
    Expensive though at $670.

A burris fullfield 4.5-14x looks decent too.

Eric in NC

Re: Who has an interesting combo, scope iron sight setup

The NECG banded ramp is great. It is a "press fit" to the barrel (i.e. won't work well on a non-tapered barrel) and then has a set screw that helps to lock it in place. For a hard kicking gun (338/284 in a light rifle would certainly qualify IMHO), I would consider some silver solder or acra-glass as well (flowed some solder under it on my model 116 375 H&H and it hasn't moved).

Doesn't someone make a scope base with a flip up ghost ring in it? Take the scope off and flip the sight up.

I use the NECG weaver mount rear too - not quick to adjust but a good sight.

You could also always go with barrel mounted leaf sights - turn it into an "express"!

Team Savage

Well I just thought I would keep it simple and see if I could find a rear sight that I could leave on.

I dont know why you couldnt have a see through scope base with a peep ring in the center, with a large hole in the front.

I have an AR15 carry handle with flip peep sights with tritium dots that would be neat, but
    the carry handle is too high at 2". I can put that sight on another AR type rear sight.

Also have a tritium front post.

dcloco

I believe they make an add on sight that clips on the picatinny rifle. You might check the various AR manufacturers. That would be the best - just peep on the left side of the receiver (if you are shooting right handed).