Thread: Burris Signature Zee Rings Mounting Screw Replacement

Burris Signature Zee Rings Mounting Screw Replacement

I just thought I would let you guys know that I replaced the slotted head screws Burris provides for mounting their Signature Zee Rings to the rail with 6-40 X 1" hex head screws from W.W. Grainger. I got a 50 count box of them for $16.44 Total including tax, out the door. I realize I'll never need 25 of them let alone 50, but it was the smallest amount they had, and the price was reasonable for the amount. They have over a dozen locations here in the Phoenix metro area alone you can will call from. Anyway, this is the link to the item # from Grainger on these screws if anyone else is interested.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...N=0&sst=subset

This is how the installation looks on my Savage Model 12-F/TR.

[img width=600 height=449]http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50/billt460/BurrisRingMountingScrewReplaceme-2.jpg[/img]

These are the screws,

[img width=600 height=449]http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50/billt460/BurrisRingMountingScrewReplaceme-1.jpg[/img]

If anyone here uses these rings and would like a couple of these screws to change out your set up from the slotted screws Burris provides, PM me with your address and I'll send you a couple. They really are a lot nicer, and you can get much better torque applied than with the slotted screws Burris includes with the rings. It's a small detail, but they are nice, and look like they "belong". Bill T.
    We are lending money we don't have, to kids who can't pay it back, to train them for jobs that no longer exist.

ellobo

Re: Burris Signature Zee Rings Mounting Screw Replacement

A good idea on the rail but not on the rings. They invite overtorqueing of the rings. According to a Famous maker of scopes, the most damage they see in returned scopes is due to overtightening the rings. The slotted screws make it tougher to over tighten. It seems that I see the admonishion to really tighten those rings screws is common on a lot of posts. If there is danger of slipping dust the rings with a little rosin and only torque to the makers specs. Why take a chance on ruining an expensive scope?

El Lobo

I'll take you up on your offer. I'll send PM later.

Thanks,

1Shot

...You could've probably picked a few up at Ace hardware & saved the 50 count... My hardware store has them...

Quote Originally Posted by 1Shot
    ...You could've probably picked a few up at Ace hardware & saved the 50 count... My hardware store has them...
    Trust me I tried. I have 4 Home Depot's and 3 Lowe's, not to mention countless Ace Hardware's within 15 minutes of my home and no one had them. They are an industrial product, and hardware and home improvement stores wouldn't move enough of them to be worth the cost of inventory. Bill T.
    We are lending money we don't have, to kids who can't pay it back, to train them for jobs that no longer exist.

Team Savage

willing to take 12 an pay for shipping an cost an time

thanks drybean

I can take four off your hands, tell me cost to ship to zip 77493 and add a couple of dollars for your trouble? Do you have a paypal account?
    Founding member of the 7MM STW Club, Member Cull Hunting Association, Best times that I had, were/are, fishing with my wife and daughter.

cornstalker

I could use six. Let me know what you need for $$.

Great idea, thanks for posting it. I always loved those rings, yet hated the slotted screws.

PM sent.

helotaxi

Quote Originally Posted by ellobo
    A good idea on the rail but not on the rings. They invite overtorqueing of the rings. According to a Famous maker of scopes, the most damage they see in returned scopes is due to overtightening the rings. The slotted screws make it tougher to over tighten. It seems that I see the admonishion to really tighten those rings screws is common on a lot of posts. If there is danger of slipping dust the rings with a little rosin and only torque to the makers specs. Why take a chance on ruining an expensive scope?
    Not familiar with the Signature rings? There is a polymer bushing inside the ring itself that centers the scope in the ring (unless you use the offset bushings) and it is pretty much impossible to damage a scope tube with them. Also the screws that hold the ring halves together are not slotted, only the mount screws. The ring half screws are Torx.

The only thing I don't care for on the 1" Burris Signature Rings is that they only have one screw per side holding the ring halves. On very heavy recoiling rifles this allows the top half of the ring to "gimbal" around the synthetic radiused insert. I've never had a scope move with them, but they do tend to rock forward leaving less of a gap in front, and more of one in the rear. This does not occur with the 30 MM Signature Rings because they have 4 screws per ring. Bill T.

The screws have been sent to those who requested them. None too soon either. I posted this on a couple of other forums and the demand cleaned me out! I have around 6 or so left that I want to hang on to for future set ups. Look for a white first class letter envelope. Bill T.

Basic Member

Thanks for posting this, I use these rings a lot and don't like the slotted screws either.

They work fine, but make the whole setup look cheap.