Thread: Screw size on 1997 116

postoak

Screw size on 1997 116

I just bought a 116 and found out it is apparently a 1997 Weather Warrior. Someone over at another forum said it is probably a 116FSS XP but they couldn't answer some of my questions.

I looked at the FAQs here but couldn't find this information and I'm sitting here wanting to check the stock attachment bolt, ring bolts, and mount bolts for tightness but don't have the proper size wrenches. Just digging around in my selection of miscellaneous allen wrenches, the 5/32" is slightly too large for the stock bolt, and a 2.5mm is slightly too large for the ring bolts (are the mount bolts the same size)?

Another question concerns the scope. It is a frosted silver Simmons 3x9 and the rings and mounts (2 piece) are the dove-tail type, also frosted silver, and the rings are vertically split and have "Savage Arms" on them. Was this a package deal from Savage or has someone swapped out the original scope for the Simmons?

From what I just dug up the Simmons is the factory offering with the XP package of that year, they don't list the model of the scope but it's a Simmons.
    Savage- "never say never".

postoak
    Thanks. Someone has told me this is an FXP3, not an FSS. I'm not sure of the difference as it seems they both are stainless steel with synthetic stock.

As I told you on the other site, it's an 116 FSSXP Weather Warrior , it came with a scope which means "XP" and the "SS" stands for Stainless Steel.

Your serial number puts it at 1997, also the first year the Weather Warrior was introduced. If it's really bothering you I can tell you what month it was made as well.

You won't find that on the parts finder at Savage Arms.

Can't believe nobody over here knows anything about the bolt size on your buttstock.
    Savage- "never say never".

The action bolts should require the use of a 5/32" Allen wrench.
    I don't have a set of Savage rings here to determine what size wrench to use for them, but I'm quite sure that Savage didnt use metric bolts on them.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    The F means synthetic stock. The SS means stainless. And XP means scope package included. It is called a Weather Warrior because it is stainless and synthetic, therefore more weather resistant. I posted to your thread on the Campfire, but I was not getting your issue. I thought you needed stock bolts and now I wee that you simply need an Allen that fits the existing bolts. You might try a Torx that fits the Allen head. I find that gives more of a grip.

postoak
    Okay, to answer my own question (in case anybody has the same question in the future), the 3 stock bolts are 9/64" and all the mount and ring bolts are 3/32".

After reading your answer to your own post, I checked some of mine. The newer rifles all use a 5/32" Allen wrench, and the older ones all use a 9/64".
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

postoak
    I see, good to know.