Thread: My first savage build

Mta5672

My first savage build

Brand new to the forum. I did introduce myself a few weeks ago. My original plan has changed a little. I am going to build a new hunting rifle(hopefully somewhat light weight). I purchased a really good used model 110 7rem mag for $265. Which I thought was a pretty good deal! I just got off the phone with Jim at Northland, what a great guy by the way, and ordered the new pipe. I got a 26in Shilen SS select 1:9 twist with the magnum contour. Im staying with the 7rem mag. I intend to throw Barnes 168 LRX. I am going to start tearing in down tonight. I am going to take the receiver to work and true it on the lathe tomorrow. I will be replacing the lug and nut. Haven't decided what trigger or stock yet, way too many options. I will be topping it with a Vortex HS-LR 4-16 FFP. Should make a fine freezer filler!

Keep us posted, planning on a 7mag build soon, love the cartridge. I think its underrate with all the new stuff out. +1 on Jim @ Nss...great guy to deal with.
    Scooter

Basic Member
    Sounds like a nice build, though I'm glad you're eating the recoil and not me. As I get older I don't even like to shoot the 30-06 much at the range any more. I considered the Shilen select match barrel too but Jim did not have one in my chambering so went with a Criterion. No regrets. Have fun and don't forget to post some pics.

Basic Member
    I'm strongly considering that exact same barrel. How long do you expect it to be before you get it?

Good luck on the build. You might take a look at the 168gr Berger Classic Hunter and VLD Hunting. Better ballistics than the Barnes and they cost less.

I bought a 26" Criterion 7mm in magnum contour from Jim last year. A really good buy and an extremely accurate barrel. Had it bead blasted and a brake installed at Score High in Albuquerque. Put it on a refinished Savage walnut stock with a Limbsaver pad. Recoil is no more than a 243....I like that.
    Last edited by wbm; 02-05-2015 at 01:10 PM.

Mta5672
    I experimented with the bergers in 7stw last year. I don't want to start a debate but, I have used barnes bullets for many years and after my experience with the bergers I will stick with barnes. The lead time the barrel is going to be in the neighborhood of 14 weeks. I didn't want to settle on something different so I will impatiently wait! I still cant decide on a stock...I feel like my wife trying to buy a pair of shoes. Im trying to save weight and still get something with a vertical grip that wont break the bank.

Basic Member
    I was sort of in the same boat as you with my 7 mag build trying to decide on a stock that would keep me under my target weight of 10-11lbs with scope and bipod. Choate was out of the question. Chassis system too big and bulky for a hunting rifle. I stumbled on the Bell and Carlson Medalist Sporter, it's 3-3.25lbs and has an alum bedding block and setup for blind mag. The barrel channel will accept up to a varmint contour if my research is correct. MidwayUSA has em in stock in your choice of color. I haven't pulled the trigger yet cause funds are tight at the moment but definitely check it out when you get the chance. The grip is far from vertical though.