Thread: Want a 223 Bolt action...need to choose between Model 11 Hog Hunter or a Model 10

jamesp81

Want a 223 Bolt action...need to choose between Model 11 Hog Hunter or a Model 10

The Model 10 Precision Carbine is more expensive, no doubt. So I guess my real question is how much the accu stock helps accuracy?

I will be doing some shooting from a bipod, so if Hog Hunter's cheap stock flexes enough under firing to touch the barrel, that would be of concern to me.

Basic Member
    The Hog Hunter is my favorite. It has the top bolt release (far superior to the newer bottom bolt release), metal trigger guard ( I believe) and inexpensive. I If after shooting it, you don't like the flex, $100 stock from Boyds, ( after a DIY pillar and bedding job ) will be as good or better than the Accustock. Hog Hunter has blind mag, but you can order bottom metal and traditional model 10 DBM for about $125 from factory. Easy install.

so, if it were me, I'd get the HH, a Boyds stock of my choosing, bottom metal and dbm from the factory and call it good.

The last HH I picked up for a donor had a plastic trigger guard.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    If i'm not mistaken, the Model 10 PC has been discontinued.

jamesp81
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    The Hog Hunter is my favorite. It has the top bolt release (far superior to the newer bottom bolt release), metal trigger guard ( I believe) and inexpensive. I If after shooting it, you don't like the flex, $100 stock from Boyds, ( after a DIY pillar and bedding job ) will be as good or better than the Accustock. Hog Hunter has blind mag, but you can order bottom metal and traditional model 10 DBM for about $125 from factory. Easy install.

so, if it were me, I'd get the HH, a Boyds stock of my choosing, bottom metal and dbm from the factory and call it good.
    Honestly, I don't care if it flexes. I don't even care what it looks like. I'm looking for consistent .75 MOA accuracy with handloads and no fliers. If it delivers that with the cheapo stock, I'm fine with it. Accuracy is my *only* concern. I don't have the skills to bed a stock myself and I'm probably not going to use a brand new, quality rifle as my guinea pig to learn on, so if the flex does hamper it's accuracy or generate fliers, I'm probably going to go with the Model 10, or whatever equivalent Savage has that has the laminated accustock.