Thread: 9mm-223AI?

Basic Member

9mm-223AI?

Sorry for the title, but I was having a hard time thinking of something.
    I was looking at a piece of my 223 ackley brass that I had on hand and noticed how similar the diameters are to the 9mm case. So I went to work with the dremel and cut the brass off at the shoulder. Then i resized it in my 357 mag die, followed by a 9mm die. I seated a 124 grain plated bullet using the regular seating die and the result looked fine to me, however I know that there are many more experienced people on here. My questions are...
    1. Has anyone ever tried this before?
    2. are there any major safety concerns with this?
    I dont really have any grand plans to build a rifle in the near future, but i think something like this would be both fun and cheap to shoot. Thank you all so much for all of your help!

Basic Member
    I have always wondered why this isn't more commonly done. I had never thought of the 223AI as being a candidate. I had always just assume that using standard 223 would work. Looking at the SAAMI specs, it seems regular 223 would NOT work. the Base of a 223 case is .3759-ish OD. While the bullet end of a 9mm case is .3800-ish OD. 223 brass tapers all the way down to .3542 at the shoulder. this is under the OD of a 9mm bullet. Using 223AI seems like a great idea.

Given a decent loading start point, I cant really think of anything that would make this unsafe. 357MAG data?

Again, this is something I have seriously mulled over, and I am curious about any shots fired from an actual build.

-PB

You wouldn't need to worry about the case head diameter difference between the 9mm and the 223. You'd be using a 223 bolt face which matches the rim diameter of the brass. A custom reamer from Dave Kiff and you're all set. It would be a fun plinker, but I don't think you'd find any bullets suitable for hunting. I'd run it out the extra .003 and make it a .358 based case where you would have a good selection of bullets out to 300+ grains. I haven't looked, but I'd bet it's already in Dave's list.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    ^ you would actually need to be concerned about case head diameter...in that expanding the bullet end of the brass far enough to fit a 9mm bullet in the 'neck' might actually give you a reverse taper...which is pretty much un-sat from a cartridge perspective.

In other words...the bullet end of the brass would be .3800 (if the brass is a similar thickness to 9mm brass).
    While the case head area would only be .3759...which is smaller. Which would mean reverse taper. Now, its only 40-thousandths. which isn't THAT much.

After fire-forming, you would end up with straight wall cases. .3800 at the 'neck' and .3800 at the case head/base.

Basic Member
    So kind of a .356/.357 Blackout?

IIRC what you have replicated (more or less) is the 9mm Super Cooper. Col. Jeff Cooper wrote an article about that concept in a 1911 frame for a trail gun back in the 80's I belive. He said it might be better than a .45 acp for outdoor use because of the flatter trajectory for long shots. I seem to remember that his vversion had a 6" barrel with a regular length slide. You might be able to find some info if you hunt around.

Quote Originally Posted by macho mouse View Post
    IIRC what you have replicated (more or less) is the 9mm Super Cooper. Col. Jeff Cooper wrote an article about that concept in a 1911 frame for a trail gun back in the 80's I belive. He said it might be better than a .45 acp for outdoor use because of the flatter trajectory for long shots. I seem to remember that his vversion had a 6" barrel with a regular length slide. You might be able to find some info if you hunt around.
    As Spock would say, "fascinating".........

Basic Member
    Thanks for all of the responses! And yes I was thinking something like a 357 blackout. Just thinking this would be easy to do in a bolt gun if it was possible, should also be cheap to shoot as well

Please keep us posted if you decide to act on your idea.