Thread: Newbie from NW Ohio checking in.

scottrborn

Newbie from NW Ohio checking in.

Hello everyone. I've been a shooter, hunter and reloader for the last 3 decades or so. I was browsing a local gun shop and came across nice little Model 99 and, knowing what it was I guess I just had to have it. It's appropriately chambered in .300 Savage, has the Pachmayr tipping scope mount and a Lyman All American 4x scope. It's seen some time in a scabbard based on bluing wear and the overall good condition of the stock. I'm trying to find out exactly which model I have, serial# 756xxx. So, if you can help a newbie out, I'd be much obliged.

Team Savage
    Welcome to the site

Welcome! I moved this down to the Vintage Centerfire board to ensure Mad Dog would see it. He's our resident 99 expert. So which shop in NW Ohio did you pick this up at? Aside from Jaqua's up in Findlay I don't think I've ever seen a 99 sitting on a dealers shelf in our neck of the woods. I did pick two up at the Lima gun shows last year though, one a 99F Takedown and the other a 99EG - both in .300 Savage.

I'm going to venture a guess on the D.O.M. being either late 55 or 56.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Welcome!
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

I'll say 1954, probably has a small circle on the front of the lever with 5F stamped inside of it?

It's most likely a model EG because 90% of them that year were but you might have an R, I've got some R's written down here really close to that serial number but can't say for sure if they made the models in runs or just whatever they had in the stock bins.

Does the forearm have a schnoble tip on it?
    Savage- "never say never".

scottrborn
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    Welcome! I moved this down to the Vintage Centerfire board to ensure Mad Dog would see it. He's our resident 99 expert. So which shop in NW Ohio did you pick this up at? Aside from Jaqua's up in Findlay I don't think I've ever seen a 99 sitting on a dealers shelf in our neck of the woods. I did pick two up at the Lima gun shows last year though, one a 99F Takedown and the other a 99EG - both in .300 Savage.

I'm going to venture a guess on the D.O.M. being either late 55 or 56.
    In Findlay TNT Firearms had it. It's got an "N" stamped in front of the lever which I think means 1962. It fits perfectly in the old house on the homestead. I love it!

scottrborn
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
    I'll say 1954, probably has a small circle on the front of the lever with 5F stamped inside of it?

It's most likely a model EG because 90% of them that year were but you might have an R, I've got some R's written down here really close to that serial number but can't say for sure if they made the models in runs or just whatever they had in the stock bins.

Does the forearm have a schnoble tip on it?
    Yes, it has a schnable forend on it and it has the triangular checkering that does not wrap around the bottom of the forend.

Yep it's an EG.

No, that must be a assembly mark your looking at, the gun was made in 54.
    Savage- "never say never".

9. 02-04-2015, 08:01 PM