Thread: 93G .22WMR cleaning and ammunition

lix

93G .22WMR cleaning and ammunition

I have recently added one of these to the collection. I am interested to hear the experience of others regarding the ammunition yours liked and how often you clean it. It's first outing to the range was a blinder. With CCI VMax I was shooting around 1.5" at 100 meters. As far as I am concerned for a .22WMR this is exceptional (and pretty good for any hunting rifle). With other ammunition, such as 40gn it shot a bit bigger, but not a whole lot. I now (two trips later) find I am not shooting anything like this. Does this rifle need to be kept sparkly clean? Thinking that this might be it I have given it a good clean (my old Stirling I think got cleaned once a year and was very happy - but never shot like this does/did) and will be up at the range through the coming week.

THanks

Alex

firemachine69

Re: 93G .22WMR cleaning and ammunition

I clean mine after every outing. This is primarily due that I left it in a plastic case (previous storage before my safe), got called into work, and tossed it under my bed in a rush to leave on time. I promptly forgot about it, and next spring when I pulled it out wanting to go plinking... RUST BLEMISHES AND SPOTS. >

(Some minor blemishes still exist. :'()

After that, I began a more intense cleaning session, unless I actively new I was going shooting within a day or two for a planned outing.

Having said that, I don't recall the accuracy going down with the some of the really dirty Winchester stuff sold at Wally World. CCI wasn't always the most reliable shooting stuff, but that VMax and TNT stuff were dy-no-mite! (Pardon the pun. :D)

Basic Member

I have the same gun in a lefty. So far it likes the CCI 40 gr from Wally World the best, which is great for me as they are also the cheapest. I've shot a couple of sub .5 at 50 yds with it. I've tried about 6 different loads from Rem 33 gr V-max to the 50 gr Feds. The 50 gr Feds are #2 for me so far, printing about .6 to .7 at 50 yds. I need a better scope as I suspect the gun is capable of better than I can shoot with the cheap Bushnell scope I have on it right now (no AO).

As for cleaning, I've probably put 600 rounds through mine so far and all I've done is run a bore snake through it at the end of each session. If anything the groups are tightening up as it get's broken in. It also could be that I'm just getting more familiar with the rifle too. My guess is if your groups opened up you were just having a bad day/session.

ivan

I've got a 93 FV w/ accutrigger. Groups hover around 1" at 100 yards with CCI Maxi Mag HP or FMJ

I am replacing the stock with a BTV style though...

I've never cleaned mine, have about 500 thru it so far

Basic Member

I clean my guns when I get back to the house no matter what.
    My groups are at 3/4"-1" @ 100yds with Fiocchi 40 gr jsp @ 1975fps & CCI 30 gr @ 2200fps. Winchester FMJ runs about 1.5", the 30gr CCI 2200fps load shoots 1.5" high and 2" right of the 40gr 1975fps load though, I did put 4 shots into a .333" hole once with # 5 going to 1"....Darn always a flyer!
    A pal with a Marlin 982 tube fed gun puts the Remington 33vmax loads into 3/8"- 1/2" at the same range.
    I have not shot them as I can't see spending $17 on a box of 50 no matter what :D

lix

Thanks for the input Chaps. It is back to making tiny groups again. As suggested, much of it was me.

I really do enjoy shooting this thing

Alex