Thread: Savage small shank barrel on a Remington

Savage small shank barrel on a Remington

Im sure its been covered but I have a McGowan barrel for a Savage small shank and am wondering if the threads would work to put it on a Remington using the Remage system?

Thanks

Team Savage
    No the threads are not the same

Both Savage threads are 20 TPI and the Remington is 16 TPI. The small shank is the same od but cannot be re-threaded to work. The Rem-age Barrels are threaded to Remington specs as well as the barrel nut. The Remington barrel is designed different on the breech end as well. If you search Savage and Remington barrel threads I'm sure you would find some information on it.

Basic Member
    You can order a remage barrel from McGowen Outlet or Jim at Apache Gun Works and get a remage nut from PAC-NOR. I'm setting up a Shilen DGR action currently because it uses the same threads as a small shank Savage. Hoping to get my stock this week!

Basic Member
    03Mossy
    If you want a Rem/Age barrel why don't you go to the person who pioneered the replacement barrels for Remington actions. Jim at Northland will have barrels, the Rem/Age nut and recoil lugs all in one place. His shop is right in Minnesota just west of the cities in Buffalo. Give Jim a call at 763/682/4296. You can have all the parts from one place and maybe faster then any where else.
    Besides he will be a great information source for you.

22 Mag
    Happiness is not having everything you want, but wanting everything you have.

Thanks for the tips. And yes when I do get the parts it will be through Jim. My office is about 2 miles from his shop, been there a few times. It's hard not taking my whole paycheck there some days lol.

The situation is I have a brand new McGowan 22-250ai 1-12" barrel threaded for a Savage small shank that's dying to get put on something. Even though there's plenty life left in my remington 22-250 I was hoping I could use this barrel on that.
    Last edited by 03mossy; 02-05-2015 at 09:24 AM.

If you can live with the barrel length as it stands now, minus all of the threads that are currently on it, then it can be cut down, rethreaded and rechambered.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

If you have a Rem barrel you can always do this. http://imageevent.com/richinva/rifles01/700project

this was back in 2003