Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading Guru's who loads .454 Casull

Reloading Guru's who loads .454 Casull

Been shooting 240gr magtech and 300 gr Hornaday factory ammo but $30+ a box and the serious recoil is not for me. This will be my first pistol round to reload. What dies do you prefer, but more importantly what is your go to powder/ bullet combo for the round. Pistol powder is not the easiest to come by around here but if I have an idea of a few powders that have been know to work I can keep an eye out for them. Thanks. BTW the Pistol I am shooting these out of is a Taurus Raging Bull with 8 3/8" ported barrel.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Ahenley45
    I don't reload 454 but I do reload for 460 S&W, I like hornady dies because you don't have to lube your cases with them. The powder I prefer is H110.

I use W296 and Lee dies. I also borrow my Lee 45 Colt to crimp in a separate step. If you want some light plinking loads use Trail Boss.
    More shooting, less typing.

Thanks adding to the wish list.

With 10gr Of Unique you can load 700 rounds with one pound, that should keep you busy.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    Go to any of the powder or bullet manufacturers sites and they will have a list of loads. Once you get familiar enough you can use SOME of the 45 colt loads in it. Stay away from any .460 loads, it's a whole differant animal, the pressure on it is way higher(I can't remember the numbers right now). I load all three of them. Don't take chances. The 460 or the 500 is the round that MythBusters showed that the pressure from the barrel/cylinder gap can cut your fingers off, that's alot of pressure! Paul

Got one just like yours. Its never seen factory ammo. Been using 29.0grs of 2400 powder with 250gr hornady xtp and Lee dies for the past 10 years. That round is hauling ass . Average is 1600fps. with no signs of over pressure. I don't shoot my Raging Bull that much but when I do?..the wow factor is definitely there. Imo it's a well designed wheel gun. That can take the jolt due to its integrated break.you don't have to load it heavy,you can go light that of which I've done as well

Strutnut
    I used to have the Freedom Arms Cassull. I loved that gun. Very accurate. I too reloaded for it and found the reloads much more comfortable to shoot even at similar velocities. I would never shoot 45 long colt in mine as I was told from the company that was the biggest issue with shooter returning the gun for repair. Too many 45's shot through than they switch to 454 and the casings get stuck and you gotta buy another cylinder. You can easily load down the 454 to similar performance and recoil to the 45 long colt and save money to boot with using less powder. I too shot XTP's but had some trouble with them creeping out of the case on occasion. The best bullets I shot where cast bullets I made myself out of wheel weights and 50/50 bar solder. Very cheap and where exceptionally accurate. I never had an issue with them at all. Its a very powerful round but a blast to shoot. Man I miss my 454 Cassull!

The Casul calls for a .452 diameter projectile. I found some .451 at one time or another, loaded up lighter loads and they worked fine. I wasn't aiming for perfect 10s, but instead blowing the holy crop out anything I aimed at, clearing real estate of sorts.

Basic Member
    I've shot a lot of 454s out of a couple different guns. H110 and Win 296 are your best friends with full power loads. Trail Boss is the best choice if you're looking to just sling lead and performance isn't a concern. Some people use 45 Colt dies to load the Casul, but just get the 454 dies and do it right from the start.

For bullets, be sure that you use the right ones rated for the 454. Look at the Hornady XTP Mag bullets, not the standard XTPs. It's possible to punch the lead core out of a standard XTP if they're pushed too fast. The new XTP mags were designed for the 454. I personally like the heavy hard cast bullets in the 454. Check out Cast Performance bullets or Bear Tooth Bullets for top quality hard cast slugs.

Andrew

n4ue
    Yep. all of the above are great recommendations.
    Few years ago, I bought a Taurus Raging Bull in 454. It, and several other big bore handguns through the years, have caused enough wrist damage that I can't shoot them any more. I've used 296 for years.
    There has been disagreements for years concerning W296/H110. Several people have chronographed the 2 and come up with different data. Maybe years ago, they WERE different, but the manufacturer NOW says they are exactly the same, different labels. A lot of this powder is made at the General Dynamics plant in St. Mary Florida.

Anyway, a few months ago, I bought a couple of Rossi SS, lever actions in 44M and 454C, just to be able to shoot the ammo I already have and can load with a Dillon XL650.
    Even in the Rossi rifle, the 454C is a boomer. I haven't chronographed it yet, but it tore up some of our Salute Hi-Power rifle targets!
    If you want to try some milder loads, look into "Laser Cast". I used to buy the 500 at a time and have used them is a LOT of silhouette loads and never, ever had the slightest problem with leading. Excellent, lower cost boolits....

By the way, I have a collection of Dan Wesson Super Mag revolvers (all SS) and the Taurus had, without a doubt, the very best lock-up of any revolver in my collection.
    Just not much fun to shoot.... ha ha

ron

Thanks for all the input guys. Been busy but still picking up items when I see them. Finally got my hands on some H110. Missed out on some dies the other day on Ebay. Prob just going to bite the bullet and order some from Midway.

As I mentioned, I've used Lee dies for yrs. Haven't had any issues.

Found a set of Lee's on amazon. Do you suggest I pick up any other dies. It comes with Resizing die, Bullet seating die, and powder through expander die.

That's the set I have. The seating dies roll crimp is exceptional. You'll see for yourself how well the dies function. Lee reloading products get dog,d more often than not. They've always worked just fine for me. I own and use 4 separate progressive press,s . Sure there's other reloading equipment out there with a higher price tag but for the money Lee works just fine. Its all subjective. Whatever works for you is what matters.

Cool all I needed to hear. I use lee and RCBS to load rifle.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    I'm using the Lee set for the 'lil woman's 357 S&W 686 reloads.
    Try a few blanks to get used to the seater / roll crimper. Works like a real sweetheart once you get it set up.

Gotta agree with Eddie about Lee products getting dogged. I think most cases are guys that just don't know how to use 'em correctly.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    I'm using the Lee set for the 'lil woman's 357 S&W 686 reloads.
    Try a few blanks to get used to the seater / roll crimper. Works like a real sweetheart once you get it set up.

Gotta agree with Eddie about Lee products getting dogged. I think most cases are guys that just don't know how to use 'em correctly.
    good friend of mine listened to advise from a Dillon user. He sold me his Lee progressive press and got himself a DDillon.4 months later he blew the cylinder out of one of his 357,s. I said not a word, I didn't have the heart. Its all about the user.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    "It's all about the user"....

That's right on .

Good story.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    I've got Lee 45ACP, 45 Colt, 454Cassul and 460 s&w dies plus probably another 15 -20 sets of Lee dies and they've always worked for me. I've had to replace a few pieces but some of them are over 30 years old. If you get the/any pistol die set, try to get a set with the carbide sizer. Makes it easier and a whole lot neater, no sizing lube. Paul

I finally got around to loading and shooting some .454 today. Well I loaded two mornings ago. First loading pistol and rifle is like apples and oranges both might be fruit but similarities stop there. I took my time reading the book over and over each step. but I finally got 10 rounds loaded with the min charge of H110. I took them out today and they worked great. Crimp on the Lee die is very nice. I put an round in next to the round being fired to measure creep no creep. Then I loaded a full cylinder and slowly fired each cylinder except the last. I unloaded and measured the last round and it also had no creep so I was happy. as far as accuracy I don't know I was test firing into the creek shooting at lilly pads from about 12 ft away (just a gues but its my guess). All rounds hit the pads were I was aiming so I assume they are going to fly pretty well when I get to the range.

Quote Originally Posted by tufrthnails View Post
    I finally got around to loading and shooting some .454 today. Well I loaded two mornings ago. First loading pistol and rifle is like apples and oranges both might be fruit but similarities stop there. I took my time reading the book over and over each step. but I finally got 10 rounds loaded with the min charge of H110. I took them out today and they worked great. Crimp on the Lee die is very nice. I put an round in next to the round being fired to measure creep no creep. Then I loaded a full cylinder and slowly fired each cylinder except the last. I unloaded and measured the last round and it also had no creep so I was happy. as far as accuracy I don't know I was test firing into the creek shooting at lilly pads from about 12 ft away (just a gues but its my guess). All rounds hit the pads were I was aiming so I assume they are going to fly pretty well when I get to the range.
    What weight of bullet did you decide on?
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

I getting a Ruger Alaskan in 454 Casull, the one with the 2 inch barrel after reading this I can't wait, I had a Taurus Raging Bull in that caliber my go to load was 40gr+ of H110 with 240gr JHP's 2400fps +

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

240gr XTP Mag. 36gr on H110 I'll start at the min Dean! But it felt good. I cannot imagine the kick on a 2"barrel. The Raging bull is very nice almost no muzzle rise being ported.

I am going to make it my new personal carry piece,LOL

Dean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast