Thread: Savage Model 99 Identification "B" "D" "F" or ???

dbates

Savage Model 99 Identification "B" "D" "F" or ???

Hey Folks- I need some help identifying what Model 99 I have. I can't figure out if it is a "B", "D", or "F". The serial number is 2999XX and it is chambered in .300 Savage. It has a 24" barrel and is the take down model. It has the brass rotary magazine and round counter. It appears to have been manufactured in 1927. It has a metal bead with raised ramp front site. I know very little about these and would appreciate any help to properly identify it. Links to pictures are attached below.

Thanks!

Last edited by J.Baker; 02-03-2015 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Fixed image links

Team Savage
    Looks like you might have a 99F lightweight. 300 came with 24" barrel; and integral sight base. The risk with takedowns, is the barrel may have been switched, but your gun looks to be in great shape, so that seems less likely. Best way to get more info might be to head over to 24hrcampfire, Savage collector's forum. There is a vast wealth of knowledge there. And consider getting the gun "lettered" by JT Callahan who holds some of the early Savage production ledger books.
    Jeff518

dbates
    I'll give that a try. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff518 View Post
    Looks like you might have a 99F lightweight. 300 came with 24" barrel; and integral sight base. The risk with takedowns, is the barrel may have been switched, but your gun looks to be in great shape, so that seems less likely. Best way to get more info might be to head over to 24hrcampfire, Savage collector's forum. There is a vast wealth of knowledge there. And consider getting the gun "lettered" by JT Callahan who holds some of the early Savage production ledger books.
    STOP THAT! We're trying to get the Campfire guys to migrate over to our site, not send our people over there. lol (just teasing of course)
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Ha, was gonna say the same thing.
    Savage- "never say never".