Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Death of the Savage 110 Used & Take-off Parts Market

I have bought a few things on here. Personally as a new guy to the Savage line i just don't have much crap sitting around to unload. I do have a few factory stocks and such but truthfully I am bad about not wanting to deal with going to the P.O. so anything I do have sits until my wife complains then I build a new set of shelves in the shed and move more stuff out there beside all the spare parts for the Jeep and all the hunting equipment. Baker definitely makes a good point in his OP and the Rebates for the axis and 110/111 packages makes selling one a bad idea right now lots of them sitting around. I imagine the cycle will rotate and the surplus will diminish and prices will go back up and buying used firearms and parts will be cost effective again.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    28 views and not a single comment? Sheesh...this place nothing more than a bunch of looky-loo's now or what?
    Can't believe I brought this one to life!

Savage certainly isn't helping to diminish the used parts market by making new parts available on their website. I try to get a bolt head. Nope, that's restricted to gunsmiths. I try to get an Axis trigger. Nuh-uh, gunsmiths only. Is it even worth asking about a bolt body? Lawl, no. Certainly a barrel nut, the hallmark of a Savage rifle, would be available to...oh, gunsmiths only.

You can get anything you want at Savage Customer Service provided you send them a waiver releasing them from damages if something goes awry.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    One thing that hasn't been said, and that I believe is an important fact, is that most guys don't want to build a bolt action rifle these days. If they are tinkerers, they want to build their own M16 variant instead.

D.ID
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey262 View Post
    One thing that hasn't been said, and that I believe is an important fact, is that most guys don't want to build a bolt action rifle these days. If they are tinkerers, they want to build their own M16 variant instead.
    Very true, in this day and age with the potential for a gun grab campaign around every corner: most folks that do not have some suddenly feel the need.
    Of course you do not have to spend much time in the forums to see there is still allot of us.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
    Very true, in this day and age with the potential for a gun grab campaign around every corner: most folks that do not have some suddenly feel the need.
    Of course you do not have to spend much time in the forums to see there is still allot of us.
    I have a hard time trusting someone else to build a rifle for me after the accuracy I've gotten out of the ones I've built myself! It's driven me to get some of the highest quality parts I can afford and still allow me to do the work myself!

The larger benefit is probably knowing what the problem is much sooner after you've done a couple of your own.

Quote Originally Posted by chukarmandoo View Post
    There would be tons of parts on here if there was no pay to play! I'm always looking for and selling parts. Don't get me wrong, this site is fine and I'm not complaining. Its just the way it is.
    Want to know why our Classifieds are pay to play? Here's a screen shot of RimfireCentral.com I just took this morning ...

Any questions?
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

This was a good read and alot of truth in it. I personally dont have a problem with paying. I was a little skeptical at first until I was a member for a bit, but its a no brainer I think. Ill gladly pay...especially if it keeps junk like that from happening.
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Basic Member
    For me locally, I'm not seeing the $250 pawn shop 110 anymore that provided those parts to sell. I see guys here still scoring them but, I'm not finding them (locally) anymore.

I'm still seeing that same $250 pawn shop 110 but.......it's got a $400 price tag on it now. At that price, I'm better of stripping a new one.

Maybe it'll just still take a little more time for used prices to come back down.

I've noticed used Savage prices are still pretty high on GunBroker and GunsAmerica as well.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Savage 10T on sale at Cabelas in Denver thru the 16th for $439 after sale and rebate. Pretty cheap!
    There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can do math and those who can't

Most used stuff here is around here is in the 300-400 range with a little bit of wiggle room. Seems as though the stock is pretty thin most of the time.
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

I suspect, now that the Axis line has picked up steam, the 10/110-rifles are now the company's "prestige" line, which is possibly also indicated by the transition to the smooth barrel nuts. As such, there's sort of a decoy effect taking place. Now that there are a "cheap Savage" and a "good Savage", consumers may be more prone to thinking the latter is a better value (or, at least, worth more) and maintains its value better than the former. This might be indicated by used Axises on GunBroker. Almost none of of the used Axises is priced below what their new counterpart costs at Bud's, especially when shipping is figured in. What's more, they've all got scopes on them or are in some sort of package deal, which I believe is symptomatic of the sellers not being able to stomach what they think the rifle would actually sell for. There are 28 active auctions. Only one has any bids, and it's the one significantly below the Bud's price.

I've been passing on the $300 110's that are still available here, although I did go look at one that seemed hard to pass up. It ended up being a 1974 Remington 700 sporter in 22/250 advertised as a Savage and priced at $300. I had no problem scooping that one up and it's currently on its way to Idaho in a straight across trade for a Model 7 in 308. Anything over $300 and I don't even look at them unless they're short actions. I've yet to lower my standards to the Axis platform, although they're out there quite reasonably priced. The big problem I'm having is everybody is out of stock on Savage parts or not answering their phone. It's more like spring here and everybody is struggling on the East Coast. I called Camera Land NY like 6 times this morning about an order and got disconnected each time. Their computers are down, phones not working, it sounds like a big mess. Guess I'll go out and mow the lawn and wait for UPS....
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

On the factory replacement parts front, I know Fred and Lisa have a big order in with Savage that's currently about 8 weeks past due and no word from Savage on if/when it will get filled and whether or not it will be filled in full when it is finally filled. Seems to be the same situation for most everyone else who stocks/carries OEM replacement parts as well. Hard to fill/ship orders when you can't get the product from the manufacturer.

Twinsen
    I just joined and I've already sold 2 things. *shrug*

Selling here is pretty successful if your prices are right. I usually set my prices at just about the minimum of what I'll take (I'm not a fan of haggling) and have had good luck in selling off all sorts of another man's treasures.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Quote Originally Posted by shovelheadave View Post
    For me locally, I'm not seeing the $250 pawn shop 110 anymore that provided those parts to sell. I see guys here still scoring them but, I'm not finding them (locally) anymore.

I'm still seeing that same $250 pawn shop 110 but.......it's got a $400 price tag on it now. At that price, I'm better of stripping a new one.

Maybe it'll just still take a little more time for used prices to come back down.
    Same down here, Dave. Every Savage I own came from a pawn shop and the most I paid was $200 for a 110. I even scored my first 25.06 Axis from a pawn shop for $175 - out the door. I have a Stevens 200 I bought 5-6 years ago from a gun shop that was new. The only rifle I bought new, in fact.

Now when I go "pawn shopping" I see rack of rifles that have been there a while. Mostly junk. Lots of good deals on pistols, but no good rifle deals.

As Jim mentioned, the classifieds used to be a gold mine of goodies for us barrel swappin' guys. Especially around the holidays. Lots of great deals. It was kinda disappointing this year not seeing the usual goodies for offer.

Even for myself, as much of a cheap A55 that I am, I've considered buying new barrels & rifles for parts.
    Notice I said "considered"...

Maybe those once great deals will come back.
    Someday.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    What I don't understand is who is buying these used 10/110's at such high prices? Unless the sellers are just setting prices based on what they see other people are asking, it doesn't make sense. Basic economics says supply and demand will determine the price. Well, adding new, inexpensive Axis to the market shouldn't drive up the price of 110's. I have gone to buying new, when good "specials" present themselves.

Basic Member
    In this day and age the whole supply and demand theory no longer works the way it used to because everyone wants to make all their money on the first idea that goes big or is the current media boom, then they ride that wave as long as it lasts.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    In this day and age the whole supply and demand theory no longer works the way it used to because everyone wants to make all their money on the first idea that goes big or is the current media boom, then they ride that wave as long as it lasts.
    So you figure there's new people entering the market with a different idea of the value? I mean, no one can sell something for more than the buyer is willing to pay. If these are overpriced, then people will eventually get stuck with them and be forced to lower their prices and take their losses, or nothing will move. My guess is that it has something to do with the internet. As long as there are a few people, anywhere in the country, who are willing to pay a high price, everyone will raise their prices to meet it. The reverse is true, too. It only takes one seller with a large inventory who is willing to sell for less to drive the market down because all buyers have access to him.

I read an article somewhere stating that Amazon, and others like them, are now setting prices based upon the regional brick and mortar prices... If they know I ma in Michigan (because of my IP address or something) then they will advertise certain products just below what the brick and mortar stores are offering it within a reasonable distance from me. So, someone in Idaho might get a different price come up than someone in NYC.

Foxx, Ive seen this for myself. My work computer routes everything through the corporate servers. I get one price there. I go home and look at the same vendor and the price can be slightly higher.

Twinsen
    I use a proxy in Los Angeles sometimes. No bueno.

So we just need to figure out where the cheapest market in the country is and setup a proxy server there for everyone to place their online orders with to get the best prices.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast