Thread: Converting An Older 116 Weather Warrior in .338 WinMag to .270 Win

SparkyLB

Converting An Older 116 Weather Warrior in .338 WinMag to .270 Win

Hello, all. First post here. I've been reading a lot. Really I have. Savage can't answer any questions, as entering the S/N on their site gives a message that it's too old to be supported.

I've ordered a .270 barrel; on its way from a seller online. I've been oiling the barrel nut daily in preparation for the barrel wrench when it comes.

I have a few questions I'm hoping some can be answered.

1. My parts/tool list includes a barrel nut wrench, .473" bolt head, go/no go gauges, and small firing pin. (I'm going to attempt to use a hardwood jig in my vise to hold the barrel while I crack the nut.) Will I need a different bolt head retaining pin to accommodate the different diameter firing pin?
    2. I have the older staggered blind magazine box attached to the action; that's removed by twisting a slotted screwdriver at the front. Will the mag and follower for the .338 work for .270?
    3. To apply heat to the barrel nut to break thread sealant (if there is any), what's the preferred method? I can get a propane torch, but I'm wondering if a heat gun will work.
    4. Am I missing any parts?
    5. Last question. Between the wrench, bolt head, gauges and firing pin (which I've yet to price), I'm at around $150, not including the barrel. If I have to get a new mag and follower, and/or barrel vise, it goes up from there.

My options are:

a. to move forward with this swap (270 is the caliber of preference); or,
    b. get a 7mm RemMag barrel; which would require no change in bolt head, firing pin, magazine and follower or bolt head retaining pin; or
    c. just buy a new Axis in .270 Win and just keep the old 116 Weather Warrior in 338.

Which option makes most sense?

Thanks all!
    Last edited by SparkyLB; 02-01-2015 at 06:36 AM.

I'd choose option A, myself. Even knowing that I may have to tinker with the mag box to make things work. Think of the value of a rifle that you built, from components you chose, and tuned to your satisfaction over the value of an Axis that you grabbed off the shelf simply to avoid any possible headaches. We're here to walk you through the issues you may stumble across, hexx, I might even have a large hole standard bolt face that you need.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

SparkyLB
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    I'd choose option A, myself. Even knowing that I may have to tinker with the mag box to make things work. Think of the value of a rifle that you built, from components you chose, and tuned to your satisfaction over the value of an Axis that you grabbed off the shelf simply to avoid any possible headaches. We're here to walk you through the issues you may stumble across, hexx, I might even have a large hole standard bolt face that you need.
    I didn't mention that my 116 is left hand. If I'm not able to find a firing pin (which so far I am not) can my older 9/64 main stem dia. firing pin be used somehow?

Just how old is the 116, as in does the serial number have a prefix? And yes, pointing out that it's a LH model helps a lot.
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

SparkyLB
    The S/N is F471XXX. I don't remember the year of purchase, but it's at least 12 years old, maybe 15.

SparkyLB
    Anyone? Can a large firing pin be somehow made to work with a .473 bolt face? I can not find a small firing pin. I've tried the vendors on this site, Brownells, Midway, eBay. . . no joy.

Thank you all.

Did you try Savage customer service? If it's a gunsmith restricted part they'll still sell it to you, you just have to sign a release waiver.

Basic Member
    Did you try Numrich? Just used them to order a new firing pin assembly for a M10. It was easier to find the entire assembly than it was to try and get just the pin.

SparkyLB
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    Did you try Savage customer service? If it's a gunsmith restricted part they'll still sell it to you, you just have to sign a release waiver.
    I did. They "don't know" the answer to the question. As mentioned, once they hear my S/N, they claim they don't even have a parts list for the weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Did you try Numrich? Just used them to order a new firing pin assembly for a M10. It was easier to find the entire assembly than it was to try and get just the pin.
    No. I'll try them now. I've clicked on google so many times now, the web page that appears says, "You again?"

SparkyLB
    So SSS seems to have me taken care of. They're going to supply me with a .473 LH, LA bolt head and open up the FP hole to accommodate my older, larger firing pin assembly. Unfortunately, the 270 barrel I ordered has been lost in the mail. My money was refunded and I'm back to looking for a barrel. This will give me a chance to do everything nice and slow and carefully. :) Next project will be removing the existing barrel.

Exciting trip so far. :)

At one point, while looking for part numbers for bolt heads, I ran across the large-firing pin part numbers but failed to write them down. I'll grab them next time I run across them. Not that it'll do you any good, but the next guy will be happy.....