Thread: several things here...

LongRange

several things here...

first in another thread Fred(SSS)posted about chapstick as a sizing lube so i tried it..i normally use imperial wax...the chapstick works EXACTLY the same and the cherry flavor made my ammo smell nice.

second ive never used lock ease as a barrel lube(until today)but know a few guys that swear by it so i thought what the hell ill try it and see what all the fuss is about...now normally with my barrel cleaned to metal the first shot with a known bug hole load is 6" high and 4" left EVERY TIME...the second shot is 1" high and 1" left...the next 8 rounds are dead nuts if im on my game at 205yds...this was today at 205yds...cleaned to metal barrel with 1 patch of lock ease....scope is adjusted high for faster rounds being shot lately...these are the first 7 rounds fired out of a clean barrel just to foul the barrel as i was load testing today...load was 260rem,40.5g IMR4350 142g SMK seated .004 off lands,lapua brass.trimmed to 2.030,neck tension .002,CCI 200LR primer....first shot 2691..second shot 2702...third shot 2703..4th shot 2705...fifth shot 2710..sixth shot 2712...7th shot 2715...

now this was a load ive been looking for with the 140g hornady bullets and was pretty sure they would shoot well...1 and 2 shot to confirm 3-7 were shot with adjustments off a bipod and sock full of rice...

for you guys that think torque tuning isnt relative....all of these shot off a sand bag and sock full of rice...

42g H100V

42g H100v..1-2 high...1/2MOA down and last 5 fired....

42g H100V

Last edited by LongRange; 02-01-2015 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Shot off bags not bipod

Tokimini
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    the cherry flavor made my ammo smell nice

I laughed my ass off when I read that.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokimini View Post
    I laughed my ass off when I read that.
    every time i fired a round i was basking in the aroma LOL!

Basic Member
    Assuming your referring to action screws?

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Assuming your referring to action screws?
    Just the rear screw...front and center are always 45 inch lbs...and the torque tuning was done off bags not the bipod I fixed the post.

LongRange
    well this load is about as good as it gets or should i say more accurate than ill ever be...i went out to confirm dopes at 330yds..420yds..550yds and 650yds as match season starts next month so time to stop playing and start getting ready....i seated bullets at .004 off the lands and that dropped my ES to 11FPS from 16FPS..out of 40 rounds fired for score i had 3 misses 2 at 650 and 1 at 550. my 330yds targets only held up to 2 shots each before the welds broke so i shot the rock holding the stand the rest of the sting.

this is the 650 target...the shot just below the chain link on the right side was the last shot fired i was trying to shoot the link in half as its just about broke in half now so i need to weld it anyway...not bad for a blind fat man LOL...now i need to get out and see how this load shoots at a 1000yds.

Basic Member
    Did you notice on your first load that the speed got a little faster and faster every shot? That's from the colloidal graphite. As the lock ease is depleted out of the bore, the bullets gain friction, which in turns produces more pressure, which in turn makes more speed. By about shot 25, you'll be back to top speed.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

LongRange
    actually the first few rounds were slow then back up to speed...i shot 7 rounds through the chrony at 200yds to confirm speed and load...the first 2 were almost 50fps slow by round 7 they were back up to speed. whats really frustrating is after cleaning up the necks and firing 3 times the doughnuts are back so i dont think i cut into the neck/shoulder junction enough,ill ream them out this time instead of trying to push them out from the inside and re-turning the necks.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    Just the rear screw...front and center are always 45 inch lbs...and the torque tuning was done off bags not the bipod I fixed the post.
    So this could usher in a discussion about barrel blocks right? lol

Takes the action out of the equation no doesn't it.

LongRange
    yes it could but im not going down that road lol!! and not bad for a SAVAGE i built in my BASEMENT ...actually my bedroom as thats where my bench is.