Thread: Ready for a scope base........

Bodydub

Ready for a scope base........

I'm ready to purchase a one piece 0 MOA for my .270. Please post up a high quality recommended base.............

I use the EGW mount for my axis, it works well and looks good on the rifle. It lets you use shorter length scopes and give greater adjustment. Besides all of this they are a forum sponsor and we need to support them.

I have EGW rails on almost all of my Axises and on my Mk II. The only exception is one Axis with a Weaver-brand, 0 MOA one-piece rail, which is nice but seems to have a bit more shiny finish than the EGW. The latter blends in much better to the Axis's factory finish in my opinion. It also comes with flathead screws, which I don't like as much as the socket cap screws EGW uses.

Bodydub
    Only two people with 0 MOA mounts?????

do you want a rail or a standard "base"
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

Bodydub
    Quote Originally Posted by EFBell View Post
    do you want a rail or a standard "base"
    Ok, you've stumped me with that question. I'm a rifle newbie so go easy on me.....

While I would argue that a rail is a type of base (though the converse is not always true), a rail is typically a one-piece affair of the Picatinny or Weaver variety with multiple attachment points for rings. Rails tend to give the user a bit more flexibility when fitting a scope to a rifle. A base, however, will typically only have one mounting position for each ring. Common examples may include the Redfield/Leupold design and Weaver bases, which differ from Weaver rails insofar as the bases are separate pieces. I would also argue that a one-piece scope mount like the DNZ Game Reaper is a base with integral rings, but that's a whole different topic.

Bodydub
    Well I am on the edge as far as a rail or one piece as in DNZ. I wanted a rail to give me more movement if needed to get proper eye relief. The thing that has me a little hesitant on the Game Reaper is only one screw holding the scope on each ring. I like their hunt masters, but have not found any info on the forums. BTW I will eventually be mounting a PROSTAFF 4-12x40 scope to it................
    Last edited by Bodydub; 02-03-2015 at 12:14 PM.

waterboy452
    I have used the DNZ game reaper mount on several rifles(Weatherby Vanguard, Remington 700, etc), including my Savage Axis. I can tell you these are some of the best made scope mounts for the price you will find. Strong, light weight, and simple to install. BTW, the 1 screw on each side of the scope ring is 5/8" long. Never had one work loose. Having said that, my Axis .223 currently wears a Weaver 1 piece rail, Warne medium rings, and a Nikon Prostaff 5 2.5-10x50 scope. I traded this rifle off last spring, couldn't stand it any longer, and then got it back in January. That's the only reason I don't have a DNZ on it now. I will say that either way, there's no way to get a 40mm objective Nikon scope as close to the barrel as I like mine, without the bolt handle hitting the ocular of the scope. With my current set up, I have just barely enough clearance (about 3/32") between the eye piece and the bolt handle. Thankfully, it doesn't rub, and the 50mm objective is close to the barrel like I prefer. I know its personal preference, but I can't stand to have my scopes mounted high off the bore. I have probably 1/8" clearance between the scope objective and the barrel....just my .02.
    Last edited by waterboy452; 02-04-2015 at 08:51 PM.

A one piece rail like the egw is your best bang for the buck and gives you more mounting options with different scopes and eye relief.

Basic Member
    My Axis 243 currently has a DNZ Game Reaper 51200. While it lacks versatility, it is well made and worked with two different scopes. Alignment was very good but contact areas of the caps were only a small strip at the very edge. Some quick lapping fixed it right up.

With that being said, I will probably change to a 30mm tube in the near future and use an EGW rail.

Bodydub
    Quote Originally Posted by waterboy452 View Post
    I have used the DNZ game reaper mount on several rifles(Weatherby Vanguard, Remington 700, etc), including my Savage Axis. I can tell you these are some of the best made scope mounts for the price you will find. Strong, light weight, and simple to install. BTW, the 1 screw on each side of the scope ring is 5/8" long. Never had one work loose. Having said that, my Axis .223 currently wears a Weaver 1 piece rail, Warne medium rings, and a Nikon Prostaff 5 2.5-10x50 scope. I traded this rifle off last spring, couldn't stand it any longer, and then got it back in January. That's the only reason I don't have a DNZ on it now. I will say that either way, there's no way to get a 40mm objective Nikon scope as close to the barrel as I like mine, without the bolt handle hitting the ocular of the scope. With my current set up, I have just barely enough clearance (about 3/32") between the eye piece and the bolt handle. Thankfully, it doesn't rub, and the 50mm objective is close to the barrel like I prefer. I know its personal preference, but I can't stand to have my scopes mounted high off the bore. I have probably 1/8" clearance between the scope objective and the barrel....just my .02.
    I purchased a Game Reaper med height and the bolt handle hits the scope . So I ordered a high mount and it'll be here FRI. God I hope the handle clears!!!!! If it doesn't then I may be forced to either get a different scope or have to play the base and ring game...........

If anyone has a PROSTAFF 4-12x40 mounted please please share your mounting hardware!!!!!!
    Last edited by Bodydub; 03-04-2015 at 01:56 PM.

NDhunter
    Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
    I have EGW rails on almost all of my Axises and on my Mk II. The only exception is one Axis with a Weaver-brand, 0 MOA one-piece rail, which is nice but seems to have a bit more shiny finish than the EGW. The latter blends in much better to the Axis's factory finish in my opinion. It also comes with flathead screws, which I don't like as much as the socket cap screws EGW uses.
    I'm new here, and mounting a scope to my Axis XP, original model, 25-06, SS DM.
    I've had this one in the safe, and now is the time to use it.

I am wanting a full rail, and it seems EGW is the only one available. I tried to call EGW, but a 2 day wait.

What part number would be the one I need ? Long action, 0 MOA Matte black.

Thanks in advance.

Basic Member
    If you mean a one piece scope base which is what I think you mean you do you have a few options besides the EGW rail.

Here are some the favorites from around here.

Weaver

http://www.amazon.com/Weaver-Base-Sy...aver+axis+base

EGW

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/146...ProductFinding

DNZ Game Reaper

http://www.amazon.com/DNZ-Products-S...me+reaper+axis

Warne

http://www.amazon.com/MAXIMA-SAV-AXI...rds=warne+axis

Talley,
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/178...ear-axis-matte

Also, the screw spacing on the Axis models are all the same so you don't have a Long Action vs Short Action scenario like you do with the 110 Series.

Another point, when making your decision it may be a good idea to contact the seller and ensure that the mount will fit your Axis. Here is a link to a scope base which states it fits the Axis but in reality does not.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/139...ProductFinding
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

NDhunter
    Roscoe:

I am familiar with some of the options you mention but some do not fit.

I am wondering about the original Axis XP, LA. EGW rail mount. What part number.

The EGW rail's part number is 41800 for the matte 0 MOA rail. They may be the only one-piece Picatinny rail without a downward cant, but there are other one-piece Weaver rails, including the Weaver and Warne rails Rosco mentioned. The EGW rails are sold by numerous vendors and don't have to be ordered straight from EGW.

Any one-piece rail made for an Axis will fit any Axis. Two-piece mounts for round receiver 10/110s will fit as well.

NDhunter
    Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
    The EGW rail's part number is 41800 for the matte 0 MOA rail. They may be the only one-piece Picatinny rail without a downward cant, but there are other one-piece Weaver rails, including the Weaver and Warne rails Rosco mentioned. The EGW rails are sold by numerous vendors and don't have to be ordered straight from EGW.

Any one-piece rail made for an Axis will fit any Axis. Two-piece mounts for round receiver 10/110s will fit as well.
    Thanks, I've now ordered one.
    I found out the newer Axis II with Accutriger has a different spacing, so not all
    Axis rails you find fit both models. I tried Weaver, but they only make the one for the
    newer Axis II.
    I'm just posting this, so others don't try to order one that will not fit.
    The original Axis XP has the same spacing as the Edge.

My Remington 700's have a bit shorter stock, so I can get along with regular bases.

Basic Member
    I am curious which vendor told you this? I have both the older standard Savage and a new XP 2 which I am going to measure tonight to check. In addition, called Savage this morning and they stated the screw spacings were all the same.

NDhunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosco View Post
    I am curious which vendor told you this? I have both the older standard Savage and a new XP 2 which I am going to measure tonight to check. In addition, called Savage this morning and they stated the screw spacings were all the same.
    Weaver company rep. Long action. They don't make one that fits the original Axis. He referred me to EGW.
    I verified the Weaver one for the Axis w/accutrigger does not fit, the Axis XP. I had to return that one.

Basic Member
    I just measured my scope base screw spacing's on my base model Savage Axis from about 10 months ago and my new Axis II XP, and they measured the exactly the same. Weird..who knows..
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

Quote Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
    Weaver company rep. Long action. They don't make one that fits the original Axis. He referred me to EGW.
    I verified the Weaver one for the Axis w/accutrigger does not fit, the Axis XP. I had to return that one.
    That's bizarre. Their item 48347 fits my "original" Axises. What a shocking coincidence!

My guess is the Weaver rep you spoke to got his wires crossed and mistook Axis for 110. Even Weaver's website shows the 48347 as being for undifferentiated "Axis series" rifles. It's not too surprising if there was a mix-up on their end. Midway, for example, lists a few of the 110 rails they offer as being for "Axis Long Action" and a few 10 rails for "Axis Short Action". When I brought this up to Midway's customer service, they told me that was the information they got from the manufacturer and I should take it up with them if I had any more questions.

jbone
    I have both the DNZ Game Reaper and EGW Picatinny style rail for my .243 Axis II. I loved the quality and look of the DNZ, but I was forced to move over to a 20 MOA style rail since Savage cannot figure out why my rifle shoots low with elevation maxed out on my scope (both the factory Weaver and my Leupold). I just installed the EGW rail with Leupold PRW rings. They look great together and the quality on both products is top notch. Will be taking it to the range on Friday to sight in.

DNZ Game Reaper with 4-12x40 Redfield Revolutions no issues with my .270win.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
    I use the EGW mount for my axis, it works well and looks good on the rifle. It lets you use shorter length scopes and give greater adjustment. Besides all of this they are a forum sponsor and we need to support them.

everything he said! i have them on most my guns. good product for a good price.

Bruce
    Holy Crap!!

Team Savage
    EGW 0 degree base