Thread: What kind of scope?

coffey46

What kind of scope?

I have a savage model 111 non accutrigger chambered in 30-06. I'd like to transform it into a kind of sniper rifle to shoot 600 yards or more. My question is what kind of scope would be best? Magnification, reticle size, mounts and the like.

D.ID
    I hate to be the one to point this out, I really do but........ Sniping rifles are a specialized tool for the hunters of men, professional marksmen performing a function of combat.
    Preparing for combat?
    In order for anyone to give you a remotely intelligent answer you will need to establish A:What is your budget?
    B:What are your exact intentions or hopeful uses for this rifle?
    Now for your long range target or hunting scope:
    Sunday afternoon target shooting? First or last light hunting?
    Top end magnification can range from 10x to 36x or more, low end magnification depends on what your doing and how your doing it. If you want to see ground squirrels at 600 your going to want 20x or more to help pick them out of the terrain and center your point of aim. You'll need good qualty glass to use 20x effectively without glare and distortion.
    If you want to retain the ability to easily shoot a running coyote or dear at 40 yards you'll want a low end around 3 or 4, you'll need to decide which is most important and plan accordingly.
    If you plan on shooting paper targets or a calm elk grazing in the distance you do not need an extremely low end magnification or extremely high end magnification. You'll need to strike a balance.
    BDC reticle for ball park targeting or turret adjustable high quality from a reputable manufacturer for precision adjustments? Again depends on what exactly you doing and how your doing it.
    Parallax adjustable is a must if your magnification is over 10x especially..
    Have a range finder or going to try and use your reticle for targets of known size? These all play a role in deciding what reticle you do or don't need.
    Mounts can run the gambit and range from very cheap but good enough to "holy cow they cost as much as my gun". I generally recommend a one piece picatinny rail and matching rings in the appropriate hight depending on how big your scope is.

Basic Member
    Nice response. The terms sniper and tactical are thrown around way too much....
    Ppl should be thinking target or hunting rig. Unless of course you are into the world of private security or contract work.

I think he meant to say he'd like to transform his rifle into kind of a precision rifle, capable of shooting 600 yards or more.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Berger.Fan222
    For me it depends. For rifles for shooting "out to 600 yards" I prefer an 8.5-25 variable scope, because it's nice to leave the magnification on low for targets of opportunity that pop up at closer ranges. Also, that magnification range works well in terms of light collection in low light situations. If you are putting together a dedicated target rig for situations where the target is always paper or steel, the range is always known, and the light is always good, it's hard to beat a fixed 40x scope. Leupold is good.

Basic Member
    I have a Burris Veracity 4-20x50 FFP 30 MM with 20 MOA picatinny rail (bedded), and Burris signature zee rings with inserts on my .270 AI ...