Thread: new to bolt guns, new to Savage

whatevah

new to bolt guns, new to Savage

Hey fellas, I'm a newbie from Delaware. New to adult calibers, new to bolt guns, and new to Savage. I'm primarily a pistol gun, but own an AR and a Ruger 10/22 (because who doesn't?). I had picked up an old Marlin 30-30 from a family friend but it was boring, especially with a heavy trigger and iron sights... in 3 years, I only put a box of ammo through it (I'm not a hunter). I recently sold it and used the money toward a bolt gun.

I've long heard that Savage made good rifles and the trigger was an amazing factory trigger... and ended up purchasing a model 11 "Trophy Hunter" in .308 from the Cabela's 10 minutes from my house this past Monday. I didn't have a chance to get to the range until Wednesday, and unfortunately by the time I got it sighted in at 100yds (I need a spotting scope!) I was shivering so much from the cold that I watched my potentially sub-moa group open up to 2.5". This was shooting from a table with a towel supporting the stock. 3 rounds were touching to make a .8moa group, but two flyers opened it up. This was with Black Hills 168gr HPBT, store-bought. I ordered sandbags that night and will likely order a 6-9" Harris bipod tonight and I'm researching methods to stiffen the stock and find a good sub-$500 scope. There's a club 2 hours from me with a 600yd range that I'd like to try out. A long-range .223 friend recommended Konus, so that's the top of my list but I'm certainly open.

I'll likely lurk here until I learn the ropes... thanks everybody!

PS: I need to find a cheaper hobby.

Team Savage
    Welcome to the site

Welcome and be sure to check out the Primary Arms 4-14x44 FFP. For $230 you'll have a tough time beating all it has to offer.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Welcome to the site. if you become a paid member you will have access to the classifieds. The $15 is well worth it. You could prob find someone that has a take-off walnut stock to throw on it. and scopes go up for sell all the time. Good luck with the cheaper Hobby thing.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Team Savage
    this is not a cheap hobby.howdy

Welcome
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

Berger.Fan222
    Quote Originally Posted by whatevah View Post
    Hey fellas, I'm a newbie from Delaware. New to adult calibers, new to bolt guns, and new to Savage. I'm primarily a pistol gun, but own an AR and a Ruger 10/22 (because who doesn't?). I had picked up an old Marlin 30-30 from a family friend but it was boring, especially with a heavy trigger and iron sights... in 3 years, I only put a box of ammo through it (I'm not a hunter). I recently sold it and used the money toward a bolt gun.

I've long heard that Savage made good rifles and the trigger was an amazing factory trigger... and ended up purchasing a model 11 "Trophy Hunter" in .308 from the Cabela's 10 minutes from my house this past Monday. I didn't have a chance to get to the range until Wednesday, and unfortunately by the time I got it sighted in at 100yds (I need a spotting scope!) I was shivering so much from the cold that I watched my potentially sub-moa group open up to 2.5". This was shooting from a table with a towel supporting the stock. 3 rounds were touching to make a .8moa group, but two flyers opened it up. This was with Black Hills 168gr HPBT, store-bought. I ordered sandbags that night and will likely order a 6-9" Harris bipod tonight and I'm researching methods to stiffen the stock and find a good sub-$500 scope. There's a club 2 hours from me with a 600yd range that I'd like to try out. A long-range .223 friend recommended Konus, so that's the top of my list but I'm certainly open.

I'll likely lurk here until I learn the ropes... thanks everybody!

PS: I need to find a cheaper hobby.
    Welcome to the site. You are invited to join our monthly email matches here at Savage Shooters. We have both rimfire and centerfire matches. The rules are linked below. Some friendly competition is a great way to learn what you can do with that new Savage.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...les-and-Target

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...ctive-01-02-12)

whatevah
    thanks for the posts... I signed up for membership and the email matches look interesting. Going out to the range next Friday to try out some AMax ammo, I'll see what I can do for a few groups.

Welcome aboard.