Hey fellas, I'm a newbie from Delaware. New to adult calibers, new to bolt guns, and new to Savage. I'm primarily a pistol gun, but own an AR and a Ruger 10/22 (because who doesn't?). I had picked up an old Marlin 30-30 from a family friend but it was boring, especially with a heavy trigger and iron sights... in 3 years, I only put a box of ammo through it (I'm not a hunter). I recently sold it and used the money toward a bolt gun.

I've long heard that Savage made good rifles and the trigger was an amazing factory trigger... and ended up purchasing a model 11 "Trophy Hunter" in .308 from the Cabela's 10 minutes from my house this past Monday. I didn't have a chance to get to the range until Wednesday, and unfortunately by the time I got it sighted in at 100yds (I need a spotting scope!) I was shivering so much from the cold that I watched my potentially sub-moa group open up to 2.5". This was shooting from a table with a towel supporting the stock. 3 rounds were touching to make a .8moa group, but two flyers opened it up. This was with Black Hills 168gr HPBT, store-bought. I ordered sandbags that night and will likely order a 6-9" Harris bipod tonight and I'm researching methods to stiffen the stock and find a good sub-$500 scope. There's a club 2 hours from me with a 600yd range that I'd like to try out. A long-range .223 friend recommended Konus, so that's the top of my list but I'm certainly open.

I'll likely lurk here until I learn the ropes... thanks everybody!

PS: I need to find a cheaper hobby.