Thread: 6.5 Creedmoor build with long action - Pros and cons?

Basic Member

6.5 Creedmoor build with long action - Pros and cons?

I plan on shooting Berger VLD's in a 6.5 Creedmoor build because that's what my 6.5x284 shoots well. My concern is that using a short action (with it's magazine) may limit my OAL when seating the long bullets. Has anyone used a long action for a Creedmoor?
    I would like to hear opinions from builders. Thanks.
    "Do you trust the government?" If the answer is 'Yes,' you can accurately surmise they don't understand the original intent of the 2nd Amendment.

Dimwit
    I built mine off of a long action .243 I had. I load to 2.830 with no issues.

If you can get reliable feeding with the long action, the only con would be the additional weight of the long action. The ability to seat bullets to a COAL greater than that of a short action for optimum accuracy should far outweigh a little extra weight.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    If you can get reliable feeding with the long action, the only con would be the additional weight of the long action. The ability to seat bullets to a COAL greater than that of a short action for optimum accuracy should far outweigh a little extra weight.
    Is reliable feeding a common problem when using a long action? Weight is not a concern. At least not that negligble ammount.
    "Do you trust the government?" If the answer is 'Yes,' you can accurately surmise they don't understand the original intent of the 2nd Amendment.

With the correct magazine, reliable feeding isn't a problem. Sometimes feeding a short action cartridge from a long magazine causes issues with the rounds popping out of the magazine before the bullet is into the barrel entrance. Feed lip adjustments easily correct that.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

D.ID
    I love long action's versatility. I also love the creedmoor round........ but.......In a short action the creedmoor wins hands down if you want to load long. If building from scratch in a long action the 260 and especially 6.5 sweed become very viable options even with VLDs.
    6.5 sweed lapua brass is cheeper than hornady creedmoor brass and......it's lapua.

6.5CM's big benefit is loading VLD's in short action mags constraints.
    In a long action 260 or even better 6.5x55 would be my choices.

Few thoughts for you.
    The Creedmoor was designed around a short action, with the notion of NOT having to stuff bullets deeper in the case; ala the 260 Rem. From every chamber I've seen, the Creedmoor reamers are very consistent in the throat, also UN-like the 260.

I have my Creedmoor built upon a long action, but simply because I had one, and didn't like what that rifle was original chambered for. My barrel is only BARELY longer throated than MZ5's Ruger predator; but I have also shot 10X as many rounds...
    I've now built 3 short action chambers upon a long action: 22-250, Creedmoor, 308. As with all things Savage, it depends on what you are starting with; QC isn't Savage's strong suit. Only one did I have to change the follower, OR magazine/feed lips. I also found "the right" part wasn't needed, just another. My 25-06 rifle is dead reliable as a Creedmoor. My 7mm needed a tweeking of the feed lips to be reliable as a 22-250. The 30-06 needed a spring tweek to be a 308.

FWIW
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Long actions are a thing of the past...

D.ID
    Quote Originally Posted by limige View Post
    Long actions are a thing of the past...
    Just the opposite for me.
    Fight after fight trying to fit long loads in "short action calibers" into a short action magazine.......I'm done and probably will never build another.
    I have one left, a 308win that runs exceptionally well but is limited in bullet selection due to the magazine restraints. It lives in constant fear of being tore apart and converted to either 6 creed or 6.5 creed so I can throw the 308 on a long action and really open up other bullet choices.
    I got too use to my single shots to waist time handicapping a cartridge to fit the magazine. The short action cartridges that interest me are likely to end up in long actions, the long actions are likely to end up single shots.

Basic Member
    Never had a length issue with my creed or my 300wsm

D.ID
    Thats the appeal of the creed for sure.
    The wsm is one that I fought the magazine on 190 vld or more and it's a fight, My next WSM is definitely going in a long action.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelhead View Post
    6.5CM's big benefit is loading VLD's in short action mags constraints.
    In a long action 260 or even better 6.5x55 would be my choices.
    So, what you're saying is, the design of the chamber throat/case shoulder of a Creed is such that I won't have to worry about not being able to load 130 VLD's as long as necessary for optimum accuracy. I know by lil Remy .308 "Tactical" would probably do better if I had a little more length in the magazine. It is confined to shorter bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Medic View Post
    So, what you're saying is, the design of the chamber throat/case shoulder of a Creed is such that I won't have to worry about not being able to load 130 VLD's as long as necessary for optimum accuracy. I know by lil Remy .308 "Tactical" would probably do better if I had a little more length in the magazine. It is confined to shorter bullets.
    Yea, with the normal short throat most are not having issues.
    With a savage magazine definitely not.
    The AI mags I use are quite a bit shorter than the Savage mags.

Basic Member
    I run 140 vlds in my creed. Havent shot anything but amax so far in the 300wsm

I have not built a 6.5 but have built three long action 7mm08's with long actions just because of COAL restrictions with an internal mag. Never had a negative feed ramp issue on one of them. Recently I am in the process of building a chassis gun with a MDT Chassis. Due to case restrictions on a AI 308 mag I went with a long action chassis model and then altered a 300 win mag AI mag to work with a 7mm08 casing. So far everything is working fine with no problems with case feeding at all.
    GLC