Thread: savage striker?

224tth

savage striker?

I have been reading post a while, but this is my first post.

I have a savage striker 22-250 blued gun with a burris 10X pistol target scope. I have shot 5-6 groups (averages @ 3/4")with it and they range from slightly under a half inch to the largest at 1.37" which was a 5 shot group. I have a problem with the gun. It takes 9 alum. can shims under the rear of the scope base to get the scope within a couple of inches of zero at 100 yards. Each shim is .004. The mount is a leupold 1 piece base with med standard burris rings.

The gun shoots REALLY well, but any ideas on why it is that far off?

I was thinking that a set of burris sig rings with a +20 insert in front and -20 insert in the rear ring.

thoughts and ideas?

thanks
    224TTH

Re: savage striker?

You might want to go to EGW and see if they have a 40moa base that fits.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

dcloco

Is the front of your base in contact with the recoil lug? (is the recoil lug sticking above the front end of the receiver?)

ellobo

Dont know nuttin' about strikers, but could it possibly be he has a reciever with the flat rear? omethin' aint normal here.

El Lobo

the rear of the gun was filed flat by hand when they were made. some times they took an extra pass they should not have.

shims ( like you did) canted base ( EGW ....) or Burris signature rings are the patches for the problem.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

ellobo

It could be he does not have a proper mount that is made for a flat rear reciever. I did that before I knew anything about flat rear recievers.

El Lobo

224tth

Yes the rear of the action is flat. I have the correct base made for this flat rear action. The front of the base is not raised up any by recoil lug.

Would you do the burris rings or leave it how it is now since it shoots well shimmed?

thanks
    224tth

ellobo

Shoots well as is? The old saying "if it aint broke, dont fix it" comes to mind.

El Lobo

If it don't bother you leave it. try to fix it and you have to start over. Think I have a couple with brass shims under the bases, one savage and a 6.5 x 55 mouser.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

I would leave it like it is since it shoots, and welcome to the forum!

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Don - LongRangeSupply

Not uncommon with at least my flat rear actions. I have had to shim almost all of mine. If I place a one piece base on the front and tighten the screws down the rear is floating in the air. I bought the steel shim sets and used those figuring they would compress less than aluminum. If I was using aluminum, I would probably add some glass bedding to the mix since aluminum is fairly soft.