Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What caliber ?

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    I think he was referring to yobuck's style of hunting.
    Actualy i take no credit for much of anything if you notice, including how i hunt long range.
    BUT, if you were ever so inclined to come east to hunt long range, you would find that virtually all of it
    is done in a manner Shawn Corlock would refer to as (ambush style).
    That would be picking a location you can cover lots of area then wait for an animal to show up.
    Reason it is done that way in the east is because the terrain would dictate its the only way it can be done.
    As for shooting from a bench, thats also the chosen method because the terrain as a rule is very steep and also completly tree covered.
    So small portable benches are made which can be carried up to a mile or so, or a bench is stashed and left from year to year.
    Sometimes flat rocks are used at some locations for building one. Most guys can (shoot better) from a bench, but i guess there are exceptions.
    Also notice how the worlds best/acuracy oriented shooters shoot. Ive never seen one prefer laying on the ground next to a bench at a 1000 yd match.
    Western hunters have the luxery of hunting in this manner, or by moving about and stopping to glass as they go. (another topic)
    Eastern hunters who travel west and there are many, as a rule use the tactics they use back east. Especially if a 4 wheeler is permitted to help carry gear.
    The choice of cartridges used would depend largly upon the distance involved. Yes you can use smaller lighter bullets to shoot long distances and if you hit an animal
    properly it will kill it. But if youve ever (watched) a small bullet vs a heavy bullet at equal M V travel across a wide valley you wont need me or anyone to sell you on whats best.
    One more thing thats never discussed. I would love to be 30 and be able to wander around as i chose to hunt. but im not and at some point neither will you.
    Think about that and also how your life could change as a result of even your drive to work today. Or be ordered to slow down because that ticker you were issued isnt doing so good.
    Would you prefer being a couch potato or eat crow? lol

D.ID
    Quote Originally Posted by stomp442 View Post
    The only trend i see is shots other than maybe the 916 one that i would even consider long range and hardly require a 338 edge to make a kill. .
    That was my point. most listed fall in that 600ish or less range and are good clean kills with a WSM, 7mm and even 270......but the the 338 still has some desirable effects.
    I only shoot to 1400 even with my edge and have not needed that for elk yet.

Basic Member
    Went to a gun show this weekend , no good buys at all. So I came home and ordered a Axis heavy barrel (308) with plans on ordering a 260 Ackley barrel when Apache Gun Works opens up orders on barrels. Now what twist and length of barrel should I order, I plan on shooting 140's and 142's mostly, I'm thinking of ordering the x-caliber barrel and should I have it treaded for a muzzle break ?
    Last edited by wyo85; 02-02-2015 at 09:47 PM.

Basic Member
    You won't need a brake. 260 or 260AI is plenty mild. My Apache 260AI is an 8 twist. love it. easily a 1/3 MOA or better.

8 twist all the way.

600 yd Elk? Might lose a few wounded at that range due wind shifts and gusts even with the most capable cartridges.

Consider a 260 Remington or 6.5 Creedmoor and shoot a lot at unknown distances in a variety of wind conditions. That experience with formal and informal targets will help you better decide when NOT to shoot.

D.ID
    8 twist for sure.
    I do not anticipate a need for a brake but if you think there is the slightest possibility you may someday want a brake or suppressor: get it threaded, find a thread protector and your options are open.
    It's pretty easy to do while it's in the lathe and being machined on anyway. I order all mine threaded at the muzzle just in case, even the low recoil calibers just because I hate tearing one back down once there dialed in and locked down.

Basic Member
    well ,wanted a 600 yard Elk caliber and didn't want to fire form my cases I just can't figure out where my thinking started to go hey wire. Well I guess I can look at it this way my next build will have these goals. Lol

The way I look at it is like this. You have to break the barrel in and load develop anyway so fire forming gets done while you do that. Its really no different of process than any other caliber and accuracy while forming is generally really good as well.

Basic Member
    6.5-06 will do everything a 260AI will do and a little more. Uses slightly more powder, but my reloads were plenty accurate on the first firing after necking up the 25-06 brass. Things just get a little consistent after that first time through the chamber.

D.ID
    Quote Originally Posted by wyo85 View Post
    well ,wanted a 600 yard Elk caliber and didn't want to fire form my cases I just can't figure out where my thinking started to go hey wire. Well I guess I can look at it this way my next build will have these goals. Lol
    LOL......I tried, lord knows I tried.
    I'm sure once you use it you'll love it even for the 600 yard elk.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
    LOL......I tried, lord knows I tried.
    I'm sure once you use it you'll love it even for the 600 yard elk.
    Well someday you might get some aknowledgment for that.
    You already got it from me. lol
    But i have a question for you.
    At what point or distance while hunting do you draw the line and why?

D.ID
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Generally speaking it's my equipment now days and always really has bean the limiting factor but terrain plays a part as well.
    There was a time were it was 300 because I was guessing range.
    Enter the range finder: limit moved to 7-800 pretty fast but occasional unaccounted for wind threw me farther than I was comfortable with for hunting elk or dear (coyotes/wolves fair game anyday).
    Enter the edge: the occasional "sneaky wind" became a fairly insignificant effect and pushed out to the limit of my range finders pretty quick.
    My range finders top out in the 12-1400 range depending on conditions and would cost at least double to upgrade (maybe 40% gain at 200-300% cost).
    Along the way I of course learned the art of angle compensation and some other useful tidbits..........
    Terrain,
    These shots I referenced are mostly from ridge to ridge in my favorite honey hole or one like it, actually going across the full canyon would be 1+ miles.
    Maybe some day..........not in the foreseeable future.
    We are mighty proud of how far we've come but the next evolution is cost prohibitive for my purposes.

Basic Member
    Fire-forming is done with the tried-and-true method of seating a bullet past the jam point, with good neck tension, so that the case would be held firmly against the bolt face upon initial firing. Is this a true statement and educate me on what a jam point is.

D.ID
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    P.S. "if you were ever so inclined to come east to hunt long range"
    Every body always says you can't back east......"It's impossible to see anything farther than 50 yards" you saying that aint so?

Basic Member
    Well I just ordered a barrel from Apache Gun Works , man did I really stray from my original post. Ordered a 260 hopefully it will be a good paper puncher and maybe a deer/antelope gun too!!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
    P.S. "if you were ever so inclined to come east to hunt long range"
    Every body always says you can't back east......"It's impossible to see anything farther than 50 yards" you saying that aint so?
    If a picture is worth a 1000 words, i guess i could answer that best with some pictures.
    BUT, i cant post pictures. I think i have all i need to do that except the ability to do it.
    But then id probably have even more people pi---d off. lol

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123