Thread: Don't judge me

warrenator

Don't judge me

Well maybe you should, but I'm a broke college kid. I'm building a 6.5 creedmoor on a 10 with a criterion barrel in a heavy varmit contour, basix trigger, choate stock, and then I realized after starting to build this hopefully super accurate gun, I need glass. But being a broke kid, I can't afford much. I've been looking around and I found this scope http://www.opticsplanet.com/mueller-...iflescope.html. Mueller optics? Never heard of them? Mil Dots? Tactical turrets? Good reviews? Really cheap price? It seemed to good to be true. Have any of you guys had any experience with this "Mueller Optics". If not maybe another affordable option? Oh by the way I plan to shoot at 500 yards on a monthly basis

They're not bad scopes for the money, but in my experience after a couple years the seals will fail allowing them to fog internally or get milky. I would recommend any of the Redfield scopes (now owned/made by Leupold) over a Mueller. Their Revenge 6-18x44 is about the same price as the Mueller you're looking at, or if you can manage a little more you could step up to their 6-18x44 Battlezone for around $300.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

If it were me, and I've said this a lot lately, I'd opt for the Primary Arms 4-14x44FFP. Mil dot reticle, millirad adjustments, First focal plane. Ranging at any magnification. $230 from Primary Arms. Don't buy a mil dot scope that has anything other than millirad adjustment. Google or Wiki mil dot ranging and if you can grasp it, you'll understand where I'm pointing you. Learn the difference between First Focal Plane and Second Focal Plane. Your educated mind has made a great choice in choosing a weapon, don't let price alone steer you down the wrong path optics wise.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

warrenator
    Hotolds442 you've really educated me (made me feel dumb) and have definitely convinced me to go front focal plane. Makes a lot of sense to me and I've done some further research on those primary arms scopes and they seem to be quite nice. What rifles/caliber did you put a Primary Arms scope on? Also does 442 refer to iconic muscle car haha?

Right now I have a PA on my 243 Model 116, and one on my 308. I have two more coming, destination unknown at this time. And yes, 442 can mean only one thing - 4 barrel carb, 4 speed manual, dual exhaust.
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

warrenator
    442's have always been my favorite muscle car. I would like to talk cars but I'm not sure how etiquette dictates such a matter considering this a firearms forum. I have a 1969 Jeep gladiator, 3 on the floor with that amc 232 I6 and my fathers got a 66 Corvair and we fight over the 57 Jeep CJ5. But regardless I really appreciate the input and I plan to buy one of these scopes in the near future. I've never shot with a primary focal plane scope but it seems like a pretty simple/natural idea to me.

Once you get used to it, you'll be glad you made the choice.

If you want Mil's - Mils then the Primary Arms is probably the best way to go. I despise the whole mil system as it's just overly complicated compared to the MOA system IMO, but that's me. For most it's just a matter of which makes the most sense to them and/or which is easiest for them to remember. FFP is kind of the same way and whether it's a benefit or hindrance really depends on the size of your targets and how you're using the scope. Hard to shoot small groups with a FFP when you have a small target and are at max magnification making the stadia lines get very thick and they can block out the small target entirely. This is why up until just the past few years FFP scopes have primarily been limited to very high end military/tactical models intended for use on human size targets.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

warrenator
    I'm just going to be shooting steel and silhouette targets at varying distances so I think an FFP scope will be perfect for what I need it for.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    Right now I have a PA on my 243 Model 116, and one on my 308. I have two more coming, destination unknown at this time. And yes, 442 can mean only one thing - 4 barrel carb, 4 speed manual, dual exhaust.
    Well they were hot in the very late 40s and maybe into the mid 50s.
    but then they got cooled off by a few others. lol
    Trust me i remember the ROCKET.

D.ID
    With at title like "don't judge me"
    I couldn't help judge you before I even read the post.
    Is no shame in just starting out......we all had to start somewhere.

warrenator
    Hahaha thank you for the support

Basic Member
    If you can live with fixed power and fit it in your budget, you might want to look at SWFA Super Sniper scopes that go for $300.

Excellant title to the post.
    I purchased a BSA 6x24x44 Tactical Mil Dot exclusively sold by Miday 4 yrs ago for my 308 Savage HS. 1800 rounds later, "that" scope still holds zero, and still does the job even out past 1K yds. I was hesistant at 1st, but once I saw the results?......I purchased another for my other rig.
    Ive gone up against shooting buddies who sport Leos,Springfield,Nikon,Swarav and alike and have kept up with all of them. Somestimes...even out shot them, they quickly judged me and my rig when they saw it was a BSA. I politely set up at the the line and started smacking steels from 100 out to 1100 yds. they,ve since optted to accept it for what it is and not be judgemental on me.
    Believe you me...my ears burn constantly. Some may think Im full of s*** but frankly?.....I dont give a crap. I get more satisfaction knowing full and well that Ive been able to get the job done just as good as the guys next to me who went in deep on glass.
    If youve got deep pockets?....then by all means...get yourself some nice glass. If your on a budget?....IMO...this scope has worked for me....more than that.......Its proven itself. the glass may not be as clean/clear cranked to 24 power especially in extreme heat but I simple back it down to 20 and get the job done.
    Im with JBaker......doing math on ballistic calculations for a Mil-Mil scope doesnt fit well with me either.
    the scope comes with 30mm rings,sun shade,adjustment tool $129.95-149.95 (Midway) Lifetime warr.
    Again..............excellant title for "this" thread!
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

LongRange
    Im with J.Baker on this one....go look through a FFP scope before you buy one...most big name stores will take you out side to look through them and look at small targets at different magnifications then do the same with a SFP...also unless you are very familiar with metrics you might want to go MOA over MILS do a little research on mils and MOA and then deside whats easier for you.

Basic Member
    MILS are incredibly easy once you make the switch. MOA requires a lot more thinking. It's not a Metric system, you don't have to use meters or anything. You just use Mils period. Instead of 30 some MOA it will be 7.X Mils. After using it for a bit, I hate when someone trying to get you to spot for them, but they're using MOA and want inches. It's much quicker and easier to estimate if you have a good reticle. Mil-Dot is ok, but I never enjoyed it. SWFA's Mil-Quad in their Super Sniper line is the best for $300 price tag. After all the high ends I've looked through I really like Vortex's Ebr-2b and Ebr-2c reticles the best, but the scopes I'm referring to aren't in your price range. That's why I suggest SWFA. Fixed magnification will be easier to learn on and the reticle will be easier for you to use. Once you get more comfortable with using the system if you want more than you can branch out to a higher end optic when you're ready.

seanhagerty
    Best bang for the buck in the under $500 price range is the fixed 10X offerings available. Bushnell, Weaver, SWFA. Pick one, make sure the reticle matches the elevation and windage adjustments (mil or MOA, pick one. It doesnt matter which one.)

Basic Member
    First off I would like to congratulate you on your choice of the 6.5 Creed. It will serve you well. May the good Lord help you, what with the myriad of choices in optics today. I'm not going to weigh in on Mil vs. MOA, or FFP vs. SFP. I have both, and given what I'm planning to shoot determines which rig I choose. If your primary enjoyment is going to be steel and silhouette to 500, I would suggest a Burris with their Ballistic Plex reticle. Burris optics are known for their superb reliability and clarity. I have a Fullfield II on a .308 and have shot it to 500 a bunch. I have put that scope through things my ol' dad would have frowned upon, but it still performs like it did the day I zeroed it. The Predator Quest may be worth a gander. You can upgrade one day and mount that Burris on your next build (wink). Whatever you choose, learn to operate your rig up, down and sideways.
    Godspeed and good shooting.
    Carry on.
    "Do you trust the government?" If the answer is 'Yes,' you can accurately surmise they don't understand the original intent of the 2nd Amendment.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    They're not bad scopes for the money, but in my experience after a couple years the seals will fail allowing them to fog internally or get milky. I would recommend any of the Redfield scopes (now owned/made by Leupold) over a Mueller. Their Revenge 6-18x44 is about the same price as the Mueller you're looking at, or if you can manage a little more you could step up to their 6-18x44 Battlezone for around $300.
    And when/if that happens they will send you a new one!!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by langenc View Post
    And when/if that happens they will send you a new one!!

But if it happens while your on the first of the only 2 days you get to hunt this year, it falls under the catagory of T S. LOL

The other standard option for high-quality budget optics is the SWFA SS line of fixed magnification scopes. Very solid military design, tons of elevation/windage adjustment, decent tactical turrets, very good glass (don't expect Schmidt & Bender glass for $299) and a really nice reticle. I like the 12x, but they have 6x, 10x, 12x, 16x, and 20x options.
    "The truth is that all men having power ought to be mistrusted." - James Madison