Thread: Another NEW cartridge from Nosler

n4ue

Another NEW cartridge from Nosler

Not sure where to post this, but yesterday I saw an ad from Nosler about their new ctg. The 28 Nosler. Yep, it's a 7mm. The 26 Nosler was accepted pretty well and this might be even better.....
    Way too much for this plinker.......

ron

I don't even know anyone that has a 26 Nosler, not even a barrel let alone a rig.

Dean

PS: They only place I think that there is room for a new caliber is 233 cal, which would fall right between a 22 cal and 243 cal, I would be all over that.
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

I have a 26 Nosler in their M48 Patriot rifle. The 28 Nosler is not really new either as several people have already necked that case up to 7mm. Reamers are slim but available. Surprised that this was the first cartridge as it is definitely more suited for that case over the 6.5. Think of it as a 7mm STW that will fit in a standard long action. If brass wasn't $2.50 a pop I would think of building one on a 110 action.
    More shooting, less typing.

Toyoda
    Jamie how do you like the rifle and the cartridge?

Rifle is awesome! Cartridge is way overbore. That may sound common these days but here is a list of suitable powders for best performance.

H50BMG (But it is coarse and will bridge in the neck of the case giving pressure spikes--Anyone need 2.5 lbs for free?)

RL50 (yeah I never heard of either until this round, still haven't seen it)

H869US (best bet so fa)

When it dies it will become a 7
    More shooting, less typing.

28 Nosler is going to be my next wilcat after I finish shooting out my 6.5mmWSM.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Hmmmm - so what will the .28 Nosler do that a 7mm RUM won't?
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_W View Post
    Hmmmm - so what will the .28 Nosler do that a 7mm RUM won't?
    Thats easy. The Nosler will fit and work as a repeater in a standard action.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Thats easy. The Nosler will fit and work as a repeater in a standard action.
    OK.

I have a factory Savage 7mm RUM. Works very well, just wish it had a heavier barrel. That's a long-range plan.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Rifle is awesome! Cartridge is way overbore. That may sound common these days but here is a list of suitable powders for best performance.

H50BMG (But it is coarse and will bridge in the neck of the case giving pressure spikes--Anyone need 2.5 lbs for free?)

RL50 (yeah I never heard of either until this round, still haven't seen it)

H869US (best bet so fa)

When it dies it will become a 7
    I have a 6.5/338 RUM improved (we call it the 6.5 Badger) and US 869 is the best powder by far. Surplus WC 872 works well too if you can't get the 869. The overbore 6.5's are pretty limited by powder selection. Either way, the Federal 215s are the only primer that have really worked for me.

I really think that the 28 Nosler is what Nosler should have put out first. Or better still, Hornady should have put out a factory 7mm off of the 375 Ruger case. The Super 6.5s are a pretty small market.

Andrew

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yorketransport View Post
    I have a 6.5/338 RUM improved (we call it the 6.5 Badger) and US 869 is the best powder by far. Surplus WC 872 works well too if you can't get the 869. The overbore 6.5's are pretty limited by powder selection. Either way, the Federal 215s are the only primer that have really worked for me.

I really think that the 28 Nosler is what Nosler should have put out first. Or better still, Hornady should have put out a factory 7mm off of the 375 Ruger case. The Super 6.5s are a pretty small market.

Andrew
    If you could go back to the mid to late 50s you would find the most popular long range cartridge in existance was the 6.5x300 Weatherby.
    Which was the 300 wby case necked to 6.5. That because the worlds only good long range bullet at that time was the 139 gr Norma match bullet.
    When Hornady introduced the 162 gr match bullet a decade or so later, the 6.5 started losing popularity among hunters very quickly in favor of the 7x300 wby.
    During the same time frame a few people were also necking down the 378 weatherby case to 30 caliber. Some even got the idea of necking that down to 6.5 and 7mm.
    I knew a couple guys who tried both but they werent much more than conversation guns in actuality. Available suitable powder then was h870 which was about identicle to wc872 as for load data.
    Also some surplus h570 was around but mostly scarfed up by those using the 30x378 wildcat. That would be similar to us869 for burn rate.
    Today i dont know a single person using a 6.5 anything for serious mountain to mountain long range hunting. And the numbers of those using 7mms seem do be dissapearing also about as fast as their barrels shoot out.

Not sure if 28 Nosler will be the ticket for me, but a 7mm caliber seems to come up every time I think of building a rifle to hit steel at a mile. I don't mind wildcats, I've already got two, but the fact that this is factory ammo and uses a standard long action format is appealing. Perhaps a short magnum is a better way to go? Whatever, those ideas are for next year, if I'm lucky.
    "The truth is that all men having power ought to be mistrusted." - James Madison

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevwil View Post
    Not sure if 28 Nosler will be the ticket for me, but a 7mm caliber seems to come up every time I think of building a rifle to hit steel at a mile. I don't mind wildcats, I've already got two, but the fact that this is factory ammo and uses a standard long action format is appealing. Perhaps a short magnum is a better way to go? Whatever, those ideas are for next year, if I'm lucky.
    For what your contemplating, there is one choice in 7mm and thats 7mm ultramag. Buddy up with someone owning one first would be a wise move.

Basic Member
    I like this:
    Or better still, Hornady should have put out a factory 7mm off of the 375 Ruger case.
    Just makes sense. No huge changes just a better case.

Think of the Nosler as a copy of the Sin case.

Shortened RUM case.