Thread: Need help identifying Model 99

jerrbrock

Need help identifying Model 99

Looking for Model information on my model 99 in 308 caliber. On the left side of receiver it is stamped
    A735497 top left of breach it says savage 99 series A
    Last edited by jerrbrock; 01-27-2015 at 12:50 PM.

Basic Member
    With the safety on top the tang, it is post-60. It is not a C or a CD, because it does not have a removable box magazine. It is not an E because the safety is on top. I'll make the an assumption that it does not have a Monte Carlo stock, which would rule out a D or DL. It's not an A, because it has a pistol grip. I think that pretty much narrows it down to a Model F. An F with a blued trigger is 1971 or later (gold prior to that); and the F was discontinued in 1973 ... so it was produced in the 71-73 time frame. I've read that all F's were marked 99F somewhere - try looking: 1) rear right side of barrel below the front of the scope. 2) left side top front of receiver just under the front scope mount, 3) ??? maybe up on top of the barrel.
    Last edited by KeithNyst; 01-27-2015 at 06:25 PM. Reason: spelling

jerrbrock
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithNyst View Post
    With the safety on top the tang, it is post-60. It is not a C or a CD, because it does not have a removable box magazine. It is not an E because the safety is on top. I'll make the an assumption that it does not have a Monte Carlo stock, which would rule out a D or DL. It's not an A, because it has a pistol grip. I think that pretty much narrows it down to a Model F. An F with a blued trigger is 1971 or later (gold prior to that); and the F was discontinued in 1973 ... so it was produced in the 71-73 time frame. I've read that all F's were marked 99F somewhere - try looking: 1) rear right side of barrel below the front of the scope. 2) left side top front of receiver just under the front scope mount, 3) ??? maybe up on top of the barrel.
    It does say on the right side below the front scope mount Savage 99 series A. Thank you any idea what they are worth?

Basic Member
    Are you sure it is not mark 99F on the left side here where I've place the red circle? Since it is a late A series with pressed checkering, instead of the earlier hand cut checkering, I'd guess in the range of $450-550. If it was a pre-60 with nice checkering, more like $600-700. Here's one that sold for about $450 last summer: http://www.gunauction.com/buy/12849582/ but it is not an A-series.
    Last edited by KeithNyst; 01-27-2015 at 07:48 PM.

Hard to make out but it's probably marked 99F or 99M on the right hand side of the barrel.
    Savage- "never say never".

jerrbrock

Quote Originally Posted by KeithNyst View Post
    It is clearly marked series a on the left side of breech just below front scope mount

Have you looked at the right hand side of the barrel? Or do you have a picture of the whole rifle?

jerrbrock
    Yes the right side says Savage 99 serial number A735497 has gold bead front site flip down rear site 22" tapered 308 Cal. barrel. I bought new in 1972 or 73 from local gun shop
    seriesA
    It has pistol grip stock and full round tip front. I wonder if because these rifles were being discontinued that they just pieced them together with available parts before they left the factory?[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

It's a Savage model 99F made in 1971.

jerrbrock
    Doesn't have straight grip has pistol grip does not have a schnoble forearm action is marked series A how can it be an F?

99F has a pistol grip, your thinking about an early 99F before WW2, they had straight stocks and were take downs.

Lets try to explain this to you.

1) Your gun was made in 1971.

2) in 1971 Savage only made 5 models of the 99. They were the 99A, 99DL, 99F, 99E and the 99C.

3) It can't be a C because it's not mag fed. It can't be a DL because it doesn't have a Monte Carlo stock. It can't be a 99A because it has a pistol grip stock. It can't be a 99E because it has a counter and a tang safety, hence it must be an F.

4) If you would quit looking at the left hand side of the barrel and look at the right hand side of the barrel you would see it marked "99F". Most likely right under the front bell of that scope.

jerrbrock
    I appreciate your attempt to help me. It is hard to ignore what is on the left side just below the scope mount clearly shown in the picture especially when there is not one mark on the right side.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrbrock View Post
    I appreciate your attempt to help me. It is hard to ignore what is on the left side just below the scope mount clearly shown in the picture especially when there is not one mark on the right side.
    A Model 99A and Model 99 Series A are two totally different things. A "Series" refers to a small parts change at some point and the "Series" letter was used to indicate what version or variation of parts that rifle had should it ever come back to the factory for repair.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

jerrbrock
    thanks could removing the but plate expose a model #?

Yep, for sure, it'll be under there.

jerrbrock
    removed butt plate nothing under there

17. 02-14-2015, 10:49 PM
    Reason
    Off-Topic/Hijack

jerrbrock
    When I stated that Ibought that in 72 or 73 I yhink I made a mistake I think it could have been later such as 78 to 80