Thread: Big thumbs up for Alpha Industries!!

Basic Member

Big thumbs up for Alpha Industries!!

I sold a bunch of the stuff that I wasn't using anymore, and cleaned out the reloading room. I got my Alpha Industries magazines in today, and immediately took them out to run them in and check for function, fit and finish. I have used Alpha magazines before, even back when they were called "Moon" mags. Without a doubt, these mags are superior to the older models in every way!!

I ran 100 rounds through each of the mags today, all without a single problem!! I am about as happy as I can be. The mags take all 10 rounds, and even with the "bulge", they go into the magwell just fine. I love the fact that they are a full 1" shorter in profile than the AI 10 rounders. This is the main reason why I went with Alpha to begin with, and I am glad I did.

DK

[B]Savage - Arken Optics - MDT - Seekins - MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/B]

Basic Member
    I use the alpha mags in my 260 and can seat the 140 grain berger vld's to just touch the lands. They fit my magazine, and function perfectly. So +1 on the alpha mags!

Dave

DonnyRay
    What do you mean "bulge?"
    Do the mags swell out when loaded full or something?
    I've only tried AI's so far.

Basic Member
    Yes, the "bulge". Alpha incorporated this into the design so the magazine would fit tight in the magwell and not rattle. Too many people being WAY to picky about their rifles.

DK

spdu4ia
    Did you have to bend the lips on them at all? My ai mags in my xlr are a pain to get just right. Type 1 or 2?

Basic Member
    I have not had to do any modifications to the magazines at all. These are type 1's, and have ran absolutely flawless. I got rid of my AI's, and only run Alpha's now. Very happy with them.

DK

spdu4ia
    Thank you, looks like ill be upgrading

Basic Member
    The COAL that the Type 1's will accept, is a generous 2.920", which is plenty of room for my needs. The Type 2's will accept longer if you need the additional space.

DK

Basic Member
    I'm going to get a few of the alpha mags next time I get a chance

Basic Member
    Just so you know ahead of time, be prepared when ordering. Chris is a full time firefighter, and Alpha Industries is a 2nd job for him and his partner. There is usually about a month lead time, so don't be in a hurry. You can sometimes catch him by phone, but it will only be "sometimes".

DK

BigDave
    Looks like MDT copied a lot from XLR when designing the LSS chassis. The new chassis from MDT looks a lot like your XLR too!
    You have a great set up!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Looks like MDT copied a lot from XLR when designing the LSS chassis. The new chassis from MDT looks a lot like your XLR too!
    I agree that it looks similar, but I can assure you that there was no copying. The structure is completely different. Our objective was making it as light as possible with the same accuracy improvements and ergonomics as our other chassis (The TAC21 and LSS). The design had been developed over a long time.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MDTcorp View Post
    I agree that it looks similar, but I can assure you that there was no copying. The structure is completely different. Our objective was making it as light as possible with the same accuracy improvements and ergonomics as our other chassis (The TAC21 and LSS). The design had been developed over a long time.
    I want a LSS bad!

Basic Member
    I wouldn't have minded an MDT chassis, but I didn't care for the basically not there forearm. Had it been something like the Element, I would have gone that route due to being able to utilize a PRS type stock, or even the CTR stock. Maybe someday in the future, should any of those changes take place.

DK

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RatMag View Post
    I wouldn't have minded an MDT chassis, but I didn't care for the basically not there forearm. Had it been something like the Element, I would have gone that route due to being able to utilize a PRS type stock, or even the CTR stock. Maybe someday in the future, should any of those changes take place.

DK
    I wanted light as can be. I might just have to get out the machinable wax and make one, then go buy a big chunk of 6061....

Basic Member

DK
    The MDT LSS-XL has a longer fore end, and is designed to accept fixed butt stocks such as the PRS. It is in production and will be released for ordering in a few weeks.

BigDave

DK
    Welcome MDT! How very nice to have you here.

Those changes HAVE taken place. I just had a chat with them two days ago on the phone. They are from BC in Canadia BTW...REALLY nice folks! I was alerted to their new HS3 Chassis system. It weighs just a few ounces more than the LSS and incorporates changes that many buyers asked for. Yes, it has a substantially long fore arm. Me? I think I still like the lighter LSS which they are still going to offer. I will have to look into the XL version when that comes out.

There are links on MDT website to You Tube videos by EX Recon Sniper John McQuay...a NO NONSENSE channel called 8541 Tactical. What he says in his videos is not Gospel, but it is pretty darn close in most cases. His reviews are fair and quite informative. He is the kind of reviewer that will show you alternatives like mounting a Magpul CTR stock with a Magpul riser (cheap) and a trick adjustable butt pad on the base LSS model. He does a preview of the brand new HS3 chassis too which will appeal to many. Shooting that will come in a later video.

The company is amazing. When I was ordering one of the brand new FDE poly mags from them for my Accurate Mag bottom metal, I chatted about their in house stock was not my cup of tea becasue of weight. It is still light, but I was thinking more mininalist. The representative actually recommended a competitor's stock to fit my needs from XLR. That made the MDT company even more appealing in my eyes. Amazing.
    I do like the CTR set up that John McQuay did. You can see that in detail on the video on YouTube.(link on MDT website). For way less than 1K you can get a VERY light folding all metal chassis. MDT sells a folding adapter.
    XLR has been around longer and is much more well known, but I am keeping my eye on MDT. Me likey.

I will do a review of their poly mag when it arrives including caliper measurement to .001 of the internal OAL length that will be of interest to hand loaders.

Let me leave links to MDT and also my favorite John McQuay video on cleaning bolt guns. I have been cleaning guns for 42 years and learned heaps from that video. Hope this helps.

http://mdttac.com/lss-chassis-system.html
    http://mdttac.com/hs3-chassis-system.html
    http://mdttac.com/magazines.html
    http://mdttac.com/folding-stock-adapter.html
    best. My fave: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5_vO2Donhg
    stock vs chassis thoughts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qls8xN48_00
    http://8541tactical.com/2013/07/12/x...hassis-review/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA6d5a7t0WA

Last edited by BigDave; 03-21-2015 at 03:25 PM.

Basic Member
    Well, again, unfortunately, the one that I would have really liked isn't available to my Savage Rifles addiction. I do like the looks of the HS-3 chassis. That would have been a good one to fill my needs and wants. I like that it has color options for the side panels as well, not to mention about the best designed folding adapter out there. For me, even if it would have been available right now for Savages, I have another Manners Composite on order. I am going back to where I belong.

DK

Basic Member
    MDT, thank you for listening to the shooting community, and making changes to get the desired stocks in the hands of those that use them. I applaud your efforts!!

DK

BigDave
    Well, again, unfortunately, the one that I would have really liked isn't available to my Savage Rifles addiction. I do like the looks of the HS-3 chassis. That would have been a good one to fill my needs and wants. I like that it has color options for the side panels as well, not to mention about the best designed folding adapter out there. For me, even if it would have been available right now for Savages, I have another Manners Composite on order. I am going back to where I belong.

DK
    I am still torn on the chassis vs aftermarket composite stock choice. Someday I will just have to own both, I imagine. :)

Basic Member
    It would have been nice to get a chance to have the HS-3 in my hands prior to the Manners order. But, Savage shooters are as a rule, the last in line stepchildren of the bunch to get the nice new toys to play with. I am really glad the aftermarket world is getting to me more and more Savage friendly, but it would be nice to be in the mainstream line of things.

DK

Basic Member
    It would have been nice to get a chance to have the HS-3 in my hands prior to the Manners order. But, Savage shooters are as a rule, the last in line stepchildren of the bunch to get the nice new toys to play with. I am really glad the aftermarket world is getting to me more and more Savage friendly, but it would be nice to be in the mainstream line of things.

DK
    The HS3 for Savage is complete in production. Just finalizing the side panels, and will start shipping these in a few weeks...

Basic Member
    Well, I can send you a XLR Element chassis in exchange for an HS-3... I will even start wearing an MDTCorp shirt at all my matches for your advertising!! Wanna be a sponsor??

I shoot a minimum of 6 Precision Rifle Matches, and a minimum of 6 Tactical Pistol Matches, and a minimum of 6 Tactical Rimfire Matches as well... lots of publicity??? Ayyy??

DK

Basic Member
    Well, I can send you a XLR Element chassis in exchange for an HS-3... I will even start wearing an MDTCorp shirt at all my matches for your advertising!! Wanna be a sponsor??

I shoot a minimum of 6 Precision Rifle Matches, and a minimum of 6 Tactical Pistol Matches, and a minimum of 6 Tactical Rimfire Matches as well... lots of publicity??? Ayyy??

DK
    We are open to sponsoring. Send us an email through our website with your info!
    (That exchange does not sound very attractive to us )

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MDTcorp View Post
    That exchange does not sound very attractive to us )
    LOL... yes, I can see where it might not be. Email on its way to you shortly!!

DK