Thread: First Savage build. What should it be?

Dhughes

First Savage build. What should it be?

I just traded for this model 110 pre-accutrigger 7mm. I traded a 22-250 axis that I never used. I'm thinking this would be a good first savage build project. The guy I got it from messed with the trigger, and now the firing pin falls about half of the time when the bolt is dropped. (Which he didn't inform me of.) I want this to be a somewhat budget friendly build. I'm thinking a different trigger, drop in barrel and a farely cheap synthetic stock.
    So, caliber should it be?
    I currently have a custom 6x47 lapua on a surgeon action
    A custom 7LRM on a bighorn action
    A custom 6.5 grendel AR
    A weatherby accumark 30-378 weatherby. I'm thinking of rebarreling this to a 338-378 when this barrel is toast.

I want this gun for long range hunting/shooting. I don't want it to be super light, but not 15 pounds either.
    With that being said, what should I build and with what components?
    I'm going to try to do most of the work myself.

Thanks in advance

you just need to tighten the spring on the trigger to fix the fail. Pretty gun BTW. You will need to change the bolt head and fix the protrusion if you go to a non magnum cartridge.

farely cheap synthetic stock.
    Not many option there. Think Stockade XXXXX moneysaver here.

6.5 sweed might be good or a 280AI. But you have the gunwerks chambering that is already a bad to the bone 7.

Dhughes
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    you just need to tighten the spring on the trigger to fix the fail. Pretty gun BTW. You will need to change the bolt head and fix the protrusion if you go to a non magnum cartridge.

Not many option there. Think Stockade XXXXX moneysaver here.

6.5 sweed might be good or a 280AI. But you have the gunwerks chambering that is already a bad to the bone 7.
    My first thought was a 300 win. I have a lot of once fired brass for one. Especially if I rebarrel my 30-378. I would "need" another 30 cal.
    Then I thought about a 6.5x284 or 264 win, but I can't decide.

What about a 338 edge?

Basic Member
    +1 for 300WM! Wouldn't have to change the bolt head either.

D.ID
    "What about a 338 edge?"
    Always my first thought with a regular magnum bolt face.
    Next thought would be change the bolt face and go 6.5 sweed.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
    "What about a 338 edge?".
    Because it's off of an RUM boltface not regular magnum. You use 300RUM brass to make 338 edge

Quote Originally Posted by Londerko View Post
    Because it's off of an RUM boltface not regular magnum. You use 300RUM brass to make 338 edge
    Ummmm no. You can build an Edge on a regular Magnum bolt face. And you can build a WSM on a regular Magnum bolt face.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Sorry,
    I thought for sure a 300rum had a larger bolt face than a 300wm. And all edges I've seen have been made out of 300rum brass.
    I apologize, I must have been mistaken

Technically you're correct, the case head dimensions are larger. But those dimensions are not oversize for a standard Magnum bolt face.
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Thanks for the lesson, you learn something every day 😊

D.ID
    I have three...... correction WE have three 338 edge rifles all of which started life as standard magnum bolt faces and work just dandy.

Basic Member
    If I were to do it again, I wouldn't build anything that uses RUM brass. Try finding some brass before you decide.

Dhughes
    I figured the RUM brass would be tough to find. I think I might just wait on a 338 until I rebarrel my 30-378 to 338-378. That cal should be awesome. What about a 6.5 saum? I'm sure brass would be tough to find for it too. How do the saum feed from the magazine? Any problems with it? Or just wait and build one off of a short magnum action?
    Thanks for the info so far. I'm still kind of leaning to the 300.

I also found a hogue stock for a 110 on ebay for $125. Sound ok?

I would avoid a build on the SAUM platform, Remington has pretty much abandoned it and only makes brass on special runs. I own several 350 Remington Mag rifles and I'll tell you that their special runs do not fulfill demand, I'm not sure if they even process the 350 every 2 years as they used to. I have plenty, but would scoop up more if it were to become available again from the factory. If you're going to go with a short magnum build, choose either the WSM or the RCM platform. After building a 6.5 WSM, if I had it all to do over again, I'd just go with a 270 WSM in factory form. I would probably elect to use a long action for the build, strictly for the bullet seating capability. I've passed on about 500 rounds of once fired 270 WSM brass just this week, and my local Sportsmans has factory ammo on the shelf, albeit costly. 300 WSM would be another option, widely available and still a factory chambering from several manufacturers. I'd build a 300 WSM before I built a 300 Win Mag, strictly because I can run longer bullets seated further out in the WSM (I'd do a WSM on a long action). I do happen to have both chamberings and prefer the WSM, but I like the extra round carrying ability of the Win Mag, but with the accuracy of either rifle, a single shot would suffice.

muledeer
    Depending on what you plan to hunt at long range, you could do a .264 win mag on that same bolt face. Save you some money.

D.ID
    If your thinking short mag. the WSM in either 30 or 7mm would get my vote.
    I don't prefer the 7mm over the 30 but at least the 7mm has much better (long range) bullet selection than the 270.