Thread: Savage NRA Match Rifle, .22 Cal, Bolt Action

ruauper2

Savage NRA Match Rifle, .22 Cal, Bolt Action

This old .22 has been around my family for at least 75 years. Other than the fact there are four patent dates between 1905 and 1917 and that the serial number begins 283xx I know little about it. The magazine is missing so finding one that will fit has been unsuccessful. Might anyone have additional information about this rifle that will help me find magazines for it? The bore is excellent and the overall condition the same.

TIA for any help.

Peace

Basic Member
    The serial number indicates it's the 1923 version that was made until a new version came out in 1933. It would take a straight 5 round magazine with a button on the bottom, the only function of the button is to be something to grip when removing the magazine - the buttons are poorly attached and often are missing. There are three different ways theses magazines are stamped and the technically correct one for your gun will be marked on one side '23A SPORTER or NRA MATCH RIFLE'; any of the versions should fit within reason, but I have found slight variations in the location of the bottom of the rear rib that can cause some feeding issues with some magazines in some guns. These magazines show up regularly on eBay, there almost always is at least one listed and often more. This one has had the button replaced and looks like there is some denting around the bottom. http://www.ebay.com/itm/251802600987...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Triple-K still lists replacement magazines (8 shot) for these, but I do not know how well they work (I see these often sell on eBay for much more than what Triple-K lists them for, so be wary) - http://www.triplek.com/Products/id/38/grp/412/prd/1125/

Numrich used to sell the Triple-K replacements but do not have them listed now, it's shown as item 12 in the schematic - http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact...922.htm?page=1

ruauper2
    Sav22

Many thanks, you have solved a long standing mystery in our household. Now to see what is available in magazines-----------