Thread: Xp Hunter 116 Jamming when feeding from Mag

Basic Member

Xp Hunter 116 Jamming when feeding from Mag

My xp Hunter 116 in 300 Win Mag jams when feeding from the magazine more often than not. The cartridge jams in the chamber pointing down. It appears to be catching on the top part of the bolt face, causing the cartridge to skew downward in the space between the ramps and the chamber. I replaced the plastic stock with a Boyds laminate stock along with Savage bottom metal. I noticed the Mag was tilted downward compared to the plastic stock. Ok , no problem. A little inletting of the bottom metal and the mag depth measured the same as the original configuration. Still jams. I polished the bolt face to a mirror finish, no dice!?! Heck, I even cleaned the bore and chamber! I put the plastic stock back on and guess what? Still jams! I guess I never noticed because I usually top feed single rounds. I 'softened' the mag spring tension to see if the cartridges wouldn't snap up so forcefully, Meh?

What do you think? It's scuffing up my brass! I've tried different ammo, reloads to no avail?
    Last edited by FreqRideR; 01-29-2015 at 04:47 PM.

Basic Member

Solutions

Seems like a common problem judging from all the similar posts! I dropped the bottom metal/mag with thin washers, spread the mags lips apart slightly and lightened the mags spring tension a bit. Feeds perfectly now. I guess I'll be pillar bedding the stock at some point now?

Basic Member
    I made some steel pillars and pillar bed the stock, eliminating the washers needed to drop the botttom metal/mag to the proper depth. Notch for sear came out a little crooked, and the pillar was skewwed slightly, making it difficult to engage the action threads. I dremmeled it down/round filed the pillar and it feeds like a champ now! As if anyone cares... First time for everything!

Now to go shoot some tings!
    Last edited by FreqRideR; 01-29-2015 at 04:43 PM.

We do care when there is a problem. I am glad you were able to fix it.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

You put a lot of effort into finding the problem and eliminating it, congratulations!