Thread: 338-06

Team Savage

Cool 338-06

want a new barrel for my 338-06. have an A&B on it now at 24" and its heavy to drag over the mountains. Any one know off hand the thinnest profile i can get with fluting. And does 25 or a 26" give that much more. its my elk gun and will stay that way till i put one in the freezer :) thanks

I'd stay with a 24 inch barrel to save weight. Check with the well known barrel makers, they all have a sporter weight barrel they produce. I wouldn't go fluting with a light whippy barrel because that could destroy accuracy in the long run.

24" Heavy sporter contour. Krieger number 4

Basic Member
    Had an A&B 24" 338-06 and absolutely loved it. Velocity was great but accuracy was even better. Went in a different direction with the build and sold it but would trust it for elk any time.

Team Savage
    i like the A&B i have now, accuracy is defiantly great with it. just wondering if i would have greater weight savings if i had a thinner profile and fluting. this caliber is a great thumper

Basic Member
    A #3.5 contour is the lightest that I could get my 338-06 barrel when I had it. That barrel was a Shaw. Great caliber for all round hunting! I ran 225 Partitions from the 24" barrel 2680 fps for everything.

Andrew