Thread: Savage 111 LRH 25-05 short throat?

Basic Member

Savage 111 LRH 25-05 short throat?

Picked me up a 111 Long Range Hunter a month or so ago and while I was working on some loads I notice none of my 4 different loads will even come close to the 3.250 COAL that is standard for the cartridge. Most loads are running from 3.140 to 3.180", I know this probably wont matter one bit but wonder if I could grab a bunch of velocity by having the throat cut a bit longer or would the gains be minimal?? Has anyone else noticed short throats or is the 3.250" COAL a bit optimistic and most 25's have a shorter throat?

Sounds short to me. The book says 3.250 COAL.

Have you done a chamber cast or had it bore scoped? Those would be my first two recommendations to find out exactly what you have before you start modifying anything.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

After just having lithotripsy done, this bore scope talk brings me pain Jim.

I would at least do a chamber cast to make sure that the throat is actually done properly and proceed from there. One minor burr can affect your COAL considerably.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    I would at least do a chamber cast to make sure that the throat is actually done properly and proceed from there. One minor burr can affect your COAL considerably.
    My thoughts exactly
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

My 111 .25/06 package gun had the same trouble, I did a chamber cast and it was indeed a short throat. I simply loaded my ammo to fit and the gun remains to this day the most accurate factory barreled rifle I have ever owned. The 115 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip was it's bullet of choice and I was able to get plenty of velocity, don't have my records in front of me but I shot it quite a bit out to 550 yards and if the wind didn't get me it would group in the 2-3 inch range for 5 shots.

Did very well on pronghorns too!

It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    My 111 .25/06 package gun had the same trouble, I did a chamber cast and it was indeed a short throat. I simply loaded my ammo to fit and the gun remains to this day the most accurate factory barreled rifle I have ever owned. The 115 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip was it's bullet of choice and I was able to get plenty of velocity, don't have my records in front of me but I shot it quite a bit out to 550 yards and if the wind didn't get me it would group in the 2-3 inch range for 5 shots.

Did very well on pronghorns too!

Yes my gun does shoot very good indeed as well. I have 4 groups with 2 different bullets and all measure under an inch with 3 of the groups between 1/2 and 3/4". May still have a smith check it out.

Basic Member
    Just measured on of the Ballistic Tips I have loaded and came up with 3.1895", not as short as I had thought.