Thread: Anyone try a 36gr Varmint Grenade in a 7 twist ,223?

Anyone try a 36gr Varmint Grenade in a 7 twist ,223?

Or will I be the first. I've got 5 loaded in Lapua brass with 26 gr. Varget.
    There really is an excuse for everything!

You may end up with over rotation and the bullet coming apart before reaching the target. Only way to find out is to try it!

Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    You may end up with over rotation and the bullet coming apart before reaching the target. Only way to find out is to try it!
    So it may work like buck shot? LOL

You will have to keep them under 3200 maybe 3300 FPS at the most, to keep them together that is almost 340,000 rpm, and varmint bullets give up the ghost around 300,000 give or take, they only thing that give you a bit more wiggle room is that they are only 36gr.

Dean

FPS X 720 DIV / Twist

3300 x 720 = 237,600 Div 7 = 340,000 RPM rounded off,
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    You will have to keep them under 3200 maybe 3300 FPS at the most, to keep them together that is almost 340,000 rpm, and varmint bullets give up the ghost around 300,000 give or take, they only thing that give you a bit more wiggle room is that they are only 36gr.

Dean

FPS X 720 DIV / Twist

3300 x 720 = 237,600 Div 7 = 340,000 RPM rounded off,
    Dean, do you think 26 gr. of Varget is too much to start with? I couldn't find much data,, I only have 10 of theses to try anyway, I made a dummy round with one of them, and it is slightly compressed and the bullet is snuggled into the rifling as they sit now. 26" barrel.
    Last edited by DanSavage; 01-24-2015 at 12:39 PM.

At 26gr you will be somewhere around 3400 fps, I doubt they will hold but you never know, and at 25gr they would be around 3300 fps, still questionable, 24gr at 3200fps I think will be your max, and that is still 330,000 rpm.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

I ended up making 5 at 24.5 gr. of Varget ,,,with the 24.5 it shot five shots a little over .3 for a real nice group. The 26 gr. load shot a real nice "round" group a little bit over .7 with no pressure signs. All holes in target looked real good. It was 20 degrees F but rifle and ammo didn't get that cold.

I also shot some 40gr Vmax with 24.5 of Varget,, it grouped .7 but in a double group. My barrel appears to double group several weights of Hornady bullets, but does very well with Sierra bullets and Barnes 36gr Varmint Grenade's. I have a couple .308 barrels that love Hornady bullets for the record.

The neat thing about the 36gr Varm. Gren. is that it is flat base, has rather long bearing surface for the weight of it, and appears to be very accurate. I'll have to buy a box now so I can have some vermin loads made up.

Basic Member
    Ive never actually had any problems killing prairie dogs with any bullet in the 223.
    But i have actually had problems hitting them. Especially with light ones like 40 grainers with wind.
    My 17 Rem with the 25 grainers is a hoot to shoot also and can really flatten those suckers when
    the conditions are right. Which aint very often. lol

I guess the main reason I'm trying the light bullets is the price, $80 for 500 varmint grenades is rather cheap compared to the other stuff I shoot. But I also want good accuracy too, basically a high quality plinkin load.

It also says that the bullet design was made for the military, I heard more than once that they wanted a .223 bullet to penetrate the enemy's helmet and pop instantly.

Shooting these from my 7 twist I'll be sure to drill a few woodchucks this year, who knows, maybe the bullet will tear apart at longer ranges.
    Last edited by DanSavage; 01-29-2015 at 10:22 PM.

I received some more Varmint Grenades and loaded up 10 with 24.5 of Varget, with bullet in lands a bit shot 1/2" 10 shot group at 100 yards. My 69 SMK load is a little more accurate though the 36 gr Varmint Grenades will be good for short distance varmint hunting, and some short range centerfire match's.

I was examining the initial test targets and realized that the 26 gr load had the same POI which was interesting to see,, this could be a very stable versatile round.

I was able to pull a 3 shot cold bore group at .118"at 100 yards today with the Varmint Grenade load.

Quote Originally Posted by DanSavage View Post
    I was able to pull a 3 shot cold bore group at .118"at 100 yards today with the Varmint Grenade load.
    BRAVO! Nice shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    BRAVO! Nice shooting!
    Thanks GaCop, I knew the 3 shots were very tight looking through the NXS on 32X, so I decided not to ruin it by going for 5. The wind was at about 5 mph going to the right for awhile, then blowing 2-3 to the left the last 70 yard, then the snow was swiring it was cold.