Thread: Choate 25-06-01 in Dick's VT11

66GTO

Choate 25-06-01 in Dick's VT11

I bought the Dick's Savage VT11 in .308 a couple of months ago and immediately began researching a new stock to replace the tupperware Savage stock that it came with. The flimsy Savage stock actually shot pretty good (1/2 MOA @ 100 yds with my handloads) but I wanted something better. The problem with finding an aftermarket stock was that it is a bottom bolt release and it uses the Axis type magazine with the plastic magazine well and the magazine catch built into the magazine.

After reading all I could find in the internet I was confused. Some reports said the Choate 25-06-01 would work with some minor modification, but some said not. Even Choate's website said it would not work with the Axis type magazine. Some people said you had to convert to the all metal traditional bottom metal and magazine for it to work.

Well I took the stock magazine bottom plastic "metal" apart and test fitted it into a Savage Accustock on one of my other Savages. From what I had read it was not supposed to fit, but it did. Based on that I ordered the Choate 25-06-01.

I just got it delivered this afternoon and anxiously switched everything over from the stock Savage stock. To my complete amazement and delight everything dropped right in without any grinding or modification! The stock action screws fit the Choate stock. Just be sure to use the shorter of the two washer/spacers from the Savage stock under the front action screw, otherwise the screw will bottom out on the bolt. The inspection slip in the box from Choate was dated 12-2014, so maybe the recently manufactured stocks have been modified to fit the VT11. All I know is it fits my VT11 perfectly. Even with the bull barrel there is more than enough clearance to free float the barrel and the the tang doesn't touch the stock.

I mounted my Harris bipod, and unlike the flimsy stock that it came with, there is no flex in the fore end with the bipod mounted.

I haven't had a chance to take it to the range, but I fully expect it shoot better than the flimsy Savage stock. I'll post an update after I shoot it if there are any surprises.

66GTO

Pics

Choate 25-06-01 with Savage VT11 installed:

Savage stock VT11: