Thread: Savage Long Action Bell & Carlson Opinions

Basic Member

Savage Long Action Bell & Carlson Opinions

Has anyone used the Bell & Carlson Medalist for their Savge long action ? Opinions ? It supposedly has a full length metal skeleton. Would the barrel channel handle a lite varmint contour barrel ?
    Thanks

Basic Member
    yes it has a full length aluminum skeleton. Yes the stocks are very well made. I did this vary thing 2 months ago and yes it will handle a light varmint BUT I will say this... I had to open the channel up really really wide and deep in order to free float 2 business cards. The rifle is awesome BUT I wouldn't do it again with a light varmint contour, maybe a sporter heavy contour.

P.S. this is assuming you are speaking about the medalist classic

Basic Member
    Thanks Bigeclipse. I don't mind working the channel some but I hear you. Savage long action options are few and far between in a good synthetic.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LRPut View Post
    Thanks Bigeclipse. I don't mind working the channel some but I hear you. Savage long action options are few and far between in a good synthetic.
    depends what your needs are...light varmint suggest you will be shooting off bipod?

The choate tactical works for 110, I think it is for centerfeed. You could always go boyds laminate stocks. they are nice...and cheap.

I didn't mean to sound like it fits bad. If you sand it and take your time...it looks ok (more weird having such a thick barrel in a smaller stock lol) It functions great! BUT next time I would put it in a boyds tactical style or something along that lines.
    Last edited by Bigeclipse; 01-23-2015 at 03:12 PM.

Ive got the choate tactical on my long action, and itll more than accommodate the light varmint.(actually supposed to hold up to a 1.25") I have a light varmint on mine. It has full alum block also but its a heavy stock. E Arthur Brown has em for $200, for either CF or SF. I had looked at the b&c but wasnt real sure about the barrel channel either so thats why I went with the Choate.
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Basic Member
    Thanks Scooter. The only problem I have with the choate is the weight. This is going to be a hunting rifle.
    Last edited by KTP; 01-27-2015 at 06:03 PM.

It is heavy Ill give ya that. I've got a couple other rifles if Im walking alot. If Im hunting where I wont be walking much I take it.
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Basic Member
    I am a huge fan of the Bell & Carlson stocks, and I have bedded one for a Savage long action. I put on a 22" take-off barrel that was bought for $85, and converted it to .308 Winchester; it shot 3 shots into 0.45" and 5 shots into 0.63" at 100 yds. (Different loads.) It is being used as a hunting rifle, and has the old style trigger, which I think was an excellent trigger, since it locked every 1/2 turn, and can be set fairly light. I should mention that I also diamond-lapped the barrel. I think with the right loads, that rifle could beat some folks at mid-range (certainly short-range) F/TR.
    Jim