Thread: New Axis Owner

Saxman

New Axis Owner

Bought a NIB never fired Axis 30-06 LH with black stock. Five shot sight in and then killed the first deer with it that afternoon at 196 yards. No problem. Seems like a nice rifle.

Basic Member
    Congrats and yes they are nice hunting rifles.

Saxman
    Thank you for the reply Rosco. Looking forward to spending some time with it and learning what it likes.

Looks like you've got a pretty good handle on it already! The Axis is a solid contender for being a long-time member of the Savage lineup. I don't know if one's dollar goes further with an Axis compared to a 1X/11X, but I already like it more.

Basic Member
    The Axis should have been designed on a M10 footprint. If it was compatible across the board with parts then I would completely agree that it is better than the M10. I built one up as far as I could and competed well with it, but it still lacked the options I wanted in the end. I built up a M10 action and it performs well to, but still has minor tuning issues that aren't 100% corrected no matter how much effort is put into them, then the firing pin failed and I had to track that part down. Still waiting for delivery actually. It drove me to an after market Shilen DGR action in the end. Building them is no different than building a Savage, other than they fit Rem 700 accessories. I figure after going with high quality parts on everything, but the action it was time to bite the bullet and build a rifle that will be of the highest quality in all areas.

I like my Savage builds, but once you've experienced a truly quality built action, Savage leaves a lot to be desired. However, I am also trying to get into a higher level of competition and more reliability was found to be required in order to be competitive. What it comes down to for me is I'd rather be shooting than tinkering trying to get it to run how I want it. I'll admit it's not an accuracy issue! It's all in how the action functions, quality of the parts used, and lack of upgrades for better function and reliability.

Basic Member
    Forgot to say congratulations! For what you are using it for the Axis is a great start! I just have a few things on the list I wish Savage would have done with it!

Congrats Saxman on that good shooting axis. What scope do you have on it?

Nice shooting for a rifle just about "right out of the box"!