Thread: Boyds or SSS??????

Bodydub

Boyds or SSS??????

I want a aftermarket stock, but IDK which one I want to go with. From what I've read about Boyds is most people glass bed the stock and beef up the pillars. Also depending on your odds, it may require a some modification to get a perfect fit and it is only $100......... On the other hand. I've found very little info on the SSS stocks as far as fit, if it needs bedding and just overall info. Anyone want to help me out????

Basic Member
    I've had both the SSS ProHunter ans SSS ProTac stocks. They are a perfect fit and require nothing more than to torque your barreled action down as long as you get the contour required for your barrel. Downside is you may have to wait a good bit for it as SSS is in very high demand for their work and communication can also be slow. I've had nothing, but good experiences with them, but others have not fared as well.

Bodydub
    What about the pillars in the SSS stock?

Basic Member
    Solid, didn't even use bedding and got 1/2MOA or better

Basic Member
    Hands down the SSS stock would be better

Another SSS LVT fan.

Plan on putting in at least a few hours of work with either stock. The Boyds is shipped finished, more or less complete, and usable with the factory sporter barrel. Optimizing the Boyds stock—i.e. pillaring, bedding, and inletting a heavy barrel—takes two or three hours plus epoxy cure time. The SSS will be unfinished and incomplete out of the box, but it should just be a matter of transplanting your old recoil lug and finishing the wood to have an optimized stock.

I had been a Boyds fan since they introduced their Axis stocks, but their recent cost-cutting measures have made me less gung-ho about them. I'm confident both stocks can give your rifle a lifetime of good service, but in the long run I suspect SSS will provide you with better overall value if only because all of the important functional work is done by SSS and not some guy in his garage.

And just as a clarification: Boyds stocks do not have pillars at all. I was still able to shoot 1/2" 100 yard five-shot groups with my Axis without any modifications to the inside of the stock save for opening the barrel channel for a varmint barrel.
    Last edited by DrThunder88; 02-04-2015 at 02:56 AM.

Bodydub
    Thank you for the info guys and keep em coming.........Is the SSS available is custom LOP?