Thread: Barrel nut is off, barrel wont budge

mtlivin

Barrel nut is off, barrel wont budge

Hi Guys, tried to hurry my first barrel removal off a new stevens action tonight. With the Northland Shooter Action wrench and nut wrench, the nut came of easy with the a couple taps from the deadblow hamer. However, the barrel is not moving for me, I put penetrating oil on it for overnight. Do you guys ever use heat to break the barrel loose? Just wondering if I should try heat if the oil doesn't work, figures they might have a thread sealant on there. Might also need to jimmy together a barrel vise tomorrow to get a better grip.

I've had some barrel nuts that were tough, but once they were loose, I've never had an issue with the barrel itself.

Make sure there are no scope mount screws in the front hole. Or, you will need to get the barrel in a vise to turn the action off. Use oak blocks with talcum powder to grip the barrel.

You don't still have the action wrench tightened down around the front bridge do ya?
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Team Savage
    "You don't still have the action wrench tightened down around the front bridge do ya? "
    Been there, done that and that's why I don't bother to use that type or any action wrench anymore .
    Had one in SS that the barrel wouldn't turn till I took off the wrench.
    If you must use an action wrench, go rear entry.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

If it is not one of the the tips from above, it might be galled from the front scope mount screw.
    Sometimes I flush the threads as vest I can with a pressurized degreaser and use Kroil in an attempt to get the crud out of the threads.
    I have even seen a few new rifles with a thread locker. I don't see that on every one I take apart.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtlivin View Post
    Hi Guys, tried to hurry my first barrel removal off a new stevens action tonight. With the Northland Shooter Action wrench and nut wrench, the nut came of easy with the a couple taps from the deadblow hamer. However, the barrel is not moving for me, I put penetrating oil on it for overnight. Do you guys ever use heat to break the barrel loose? Just wondering if I should try heat if the oil doesn't work, figures they might have a thread sealant on there. Might also need to jimmy together a barrel vise tomorrow to get a better grip.
    check everyones advice above but if it is an older rifle there could be a bit of seizing going on. What I had to do with mine was I taped the barrel up with 2 layers of electrical tape to help protect it and then I used some vice grips lock down on the barrel. If this is a barrel you will simply throw away then you don't need the tape.

x2 on the action wrench possibly being too tight!

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigeclipse View Post
    check everyones advice above but if it is an older rifle there could be a bit of seizing going on. What I had to do with mine was I taped the barrel up with 2 layers of electrical tape to help protect it and then I used some vice grips lock down on the barrel. If this is a barrel you will simply throw away then you don't need the tape.

x2 on the action wrench possibly being too tight!

x3 on the action wrench thing and / or scope mount screw.
    Another vice grip trick is save the electrical tape and cut a piece or thick leather off of the end of an old belt or the wife's boots of where ever you can find some. Stick said chunk of leather in the jaws of a curved jaw vice grip. Adjust as needed, lean into it ever so gingerly.

In the event it still won't budge I know a few magic curse words that always seem to help.
    PM for details....
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
    Been there, done that and that's why I don't bother to use that type or any action wrench anymore .
    Ring style action wrenches were never designed to completely remove an action, only initially break it loose, removed then the job finished by other means, by hand, a rear entry or port wrench.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    Haven't had a problem using my action wrench. I go just passed hand tight and use a torque wrench to tighten the nut at 30ftlbs. Easy on easy off every time.

....Now if only the nut behind the rifle could be that precise!

mtlivin
    Wow, yeah I must have been working on it too late, I never tried it with the action wrench off so that will be the first thing to do tonight. I have no scope mounts on the rifle so thats not the issue. Thanks for the input!

mike4570
    When I rebarreled an older 110 the barrel would not budge. Heated the receiver ring with a halogen light until hot to the touch and that did the trick.