Thread: Spacer for Savage Stock

Basic Member

Spacer for Savage Stock

Hey All,

I have a Savage 11VT .308 with original stock. I really like this rifle and have got a load developed that will shoot sub 1/2" groups at 100 yards, and sub 2" all day at 300.

The problem is that I would like to add about a 1/2" - 3/4" to the LOP on the stock. I don't want to buy a new stock. I don't want a slip-on. I would like to be able to remove recoil pad, insert some type of spacer, and reinstall recoil pad.

Has anyone done this? If so, what materials were used? Any problems or issues?

It seems like it would be somewhat simple, but looking for advise/ experience.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by kopfjaeger; 01-20-2015 at 10:11 PM.

I've never done it to a hunting rifle but, did lengthen the butt stock on one of my AK-47 clones because all their butt stocks are for short statured people. I added 1 1/4" of wood gluing and doweling the wood for strength. I then shaped the addition to the contours of the stock and re-stained and sealed the wood. The addition felt so much better when I shouldered the AK. Of course, you'll have to determine what size the new spacer needs to be for your rifle.

Basic Member
    The spacer would be for the hollowed Tupperware stock that Savage uses on their 11VT and other rifles. A wooden stock would be easy to get spacers for. Thanks for the advice though.

Basic Member
    I would think you could use about anything but plastics would be easiest. You should be able to procure a piece of plastic (any color in the rainbow) to add a bit of contrast or to blend to the original stock. Just drill your holes and find longer screws (if needed) and assemble the whole mess.

I'd suggest using paper-reinforced phenolic resin like Garolite from McMaster-Carr. I don't know if a 6x6" piece would be big enough, but a 1/2" thick piece that size runs about $10. It can be shaped and sanded like wood, but wear a respirator when working with it.

Basic Member
    You can get blocks of Delrin, or buy sheets of Kydex and cut/layer/shape. Both are available on Amazon.

You can practice using cheap plastic flip-flops (or just use those!)

D.ID
    I know midway and brownells both carry generic stock spacers but I have not used so I can't vouge for them.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the input. I think I'll try the Garolite. Looks like it may work.

Basic Member
    Why not just get a chunk of rubber and grind out a new longer recoil pad?