Thread: Stevens 200 in 30-06, can I do a .243 barrel?

msgross

Stevens 200 in 30-06, can I do a .243 barrel?

I currently have a Stevens 200 30-06 that I picked up a few years ago from Dunhams. I'm looking at dropping size for better hunting accuracy (live in PA, 100-150yard whitetail hunting) and am considering a .243. Can I re-barrel this rifle or is the bolt even compatible with a .243?

Advice?

Thanks...

Basic Member
    The bolt will work the casehead is the same size,just change the barrel and the magazine follower to make it feed right
    Ya'll hang on I'm gonna drive closer

msgross
    Quote Originally Posted by pdog2062 View Post
    The bolt will work the casehead is the same size,just change the barrel and the magazine follower to make it feed right

That's good to know... is one normally a long action and one a short? or does that matter?

Yes and running a .243 should be no problem with a long action.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

maxl
    I also have a stevens 200 in 30.06 but made mine a 25.06 just a simple barrel change and you have a lower recoiling deer getter suitable for varmints to deer.

I built my son a 243 last year using what was originally a Stevens 200 in 270. His 243 is a tack driver with 95 grain Berger VLD hunting bullets.

Mach2
    What are you using for a trigger? I stuck a RifleBasix on both my Stevens 200s. Very nice trigger. The price on the triggers has gone up since I bought twp of them. Not sure I'd go that route now.

msgross
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach2 View Post
    What are you using for a trigger? I stuck a RifleBasix on both my Stevens 200s. Very nice trigger. The price on the triggers has gone up since I bought twp of them. Not sure I'd go that route now.

I have the stock trigger, but lightened it up a little bit. The plastic "synthetic" stock is just too light for a 30-06 then add the stiff stock pad and the recoil is insane. I'm a big guy but really dislike shooting more than 6 rounds at a time because of this. Looks like Ebay has some decently priced used barrels so it might be my cheapest option to get a better suited caliber. The 25-06 would work but I'd spend $200+ for a barrel, for that I might as well look at picking up another rifle.

I found some good videos on youtube and this looks very doable, with the right tools. I think .243 will also let me get the kids into hunting easier when I decide to upgrade rifles.

Mach2
    Quote Originally Posted by msgross View Post
    I have the stock trigger, but lightened it up a little bit. The plastic "synthetic" stock is just too light for a 30-06 then add the stiff stock pad and the recoil is insane. I'm a big guy but really dislike shooting more than 6 rounds at a time because of this. Looks like Ebay has some decently priced used barrels so it might be my cheapest option to get a better suited caliber. The 25-06 would work but I'd spend $200+ for a barrel, for that I might as well look at picking up another rifle.

I found some good videos on youtube and this looks very doable, with the right tools. I think .243 will also let me get the kids into hunting easier when I decide to upgrade rifles.
    You can drop down to 150gr or 130gr rounds to reduce recoil on the 30-06. 170gr loads from a 30-06 are mule kicks to me.
    243 is a nice round to shoot as well. I have one I shoot 100 gr ammo from.
    The 130gr load from my 270 is my favorite round to shoot from a Savage. Very acceptable recoil.

msgross
    For now I'll stick with 150grain (down from165), add weight to the stock and pick up a limbsaver pad...

Would anyone recommend A bolt on muzzle brake or porting my barrel? Most of our hunting shots in PA are from a treestand or on a knee while stalking... This year I was able to brace against a large pile of rocks when I shot my doe @ 100 yards...

Mach2
    Quote Originally Posted by msgross View Post
    For now I'll stick with 150grain (down from165), add weight to the stock and pick up a limbsaver pad...

Would anyone recommend A bolt on muzzle brake or porting my barrel? Most of our hunting shots in PA are from a treestand or on a knee while stalking... This year I was able to brace against a large pile of rocks when I shot my doe @ 100 yards...
    Limbsaver is great to remove recoil.
    Also if you're shooting off a bench that directs all the recoil into your shoulder. Standing or kneeling cuts recoil in half.
    My 30-06 is in a walnut stock. That may help absorb recoil as well.
    I hate recoil especially when I'm in a tree stand strapped to a tree. Ive always worried that too much recoil could knock the stand loose.
    Accidents do happen if you overlook the little things needed to be safe in a tree.

msgross
    Wood stock helps I bet... I'm always tethered into the tree... I've jumped out of airplanes, rappelled out of helicopters and currently fly them... hitting the ground from a tree stand scares me more than anything!

Mach2
    I have read of bolt-on brakes that work on some guns but I forget if they are good on hipowered deer rifles. That may be worth checking in to. I think your idea of rebarreling to .243 would be a better way to go. A savage in 243 is a nice setup and perfect for the lightweight synthetic stocks. 243 is an under appreciated cartridge today despite being all the rage in years past. Seems like most of us today have magnum disease.
    Last edited by Mach2; 01-22-2015 at 02:22 AM.

msgross
    25-06 barrels for $135... not bad

Basic Member
    One word of caution about buying a used 25-06 barrel online:

They are considered by many to be "barrel burners". Unless you have good reason to trust the seller, like maybe a fellow member here, I would caution against it. Especially considering the fact that Apache Gun Works (a site sponsor) makes awesome aftermarket barrels for a little more than that. Same an be said about the .243.

Just something to consider. :)

msgross
    good tip, i'll only be buying if the deal is right... not making a match gun so as long as it's in decent shape I can hunt it. With the 25-06 I can use the same set of go-nogo gauges when changing barrels if I decide to go back to 30-06.

msgross
    well, I won a used 25-06 barrel on gunbroker for $25... we'll see how it shoots...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    I built my son a 243 last year using what was originally a Stevens 200 in 270. His 243 is a tack driver with 95 grain Berger VLD hunting bullets.
    I wanna build a 6.5 Creedmoor and am curious about using a long action. Are y'all having feeding issues with the,.243?
    "Do you trust the government?" If the answer is 'Yes,' you can accurately surmise they don't understand the original intent of the 2nd Amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach2 View Post
    If your lucky, and can find one, the old three screw trigger can be adjusted down to a nice pull for a sporter rifle.

redneck383
    I might be late to the party, but I'd caution against porting the barrel on a hunting gun. Going from the quiet of the tree stand to the deafening crash of firing it will not be fun. I've shot my stock .30-06 and a friend's that was ported back to back and the recoil reduction was nowhere near worthwhile to me. Good luck with the .25-06 though, I've heard a lot of good about the caliber.

Basic Member
    I just switched a model 110 30-06 to 243 and I have no feeding issues at all. I have yet to shoot it as I am also restocking it and need to bed it and finish the exterior of the stock. Another good thing about the long action is that you can load as long a possible with out the issues of magazine length.

Brandon