Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Savage's new A17 Semi-Auto 17HMR Rifle

Savage's new A17 Semi-Auto 17HMR Rifle

Here's an initial Media Range Day review and some photos from the folks over at AccurateShooter.com
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...e-is-a-winner/

Let the drooling begin!
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Here's Field & Streams take on it.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/...src=SOC&dom=fb
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Let me be first to say that looks to be one awesome rifle. And I am kicking myself in the rear since I just bought a 93R17 bolt action and should have waited for SHOT before I purchased anything.

Don't feel too bad, knowing Savage it won't start hitting the dealers shelves until sometime late this summer.

Eric Mayer
    They have a March 2, 2015 release date and the rifle should be supplied with some of the new CCI optimized ammo.

Eric Mayer

Guns America's interview with Bill Dermody covering the new A17 and Scout rifles. (I have a feeling this video will cause Bill to be the BUTT of many jokes in the coming months)

I would like it a lot better if it came with a nice wood stock. Savages new rifles just look like cheap junk anymore. I would gladly pay more for a nicely finished firearm and if it came in 22 mag. I have been less than impressed with the 17HMR cartridge.

Basic Member
    Stomp is right....the first complaint is the degrading stock. It just cheapens the whole experience.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

I agree 100% on the stock. This seems to be the enduring trend with Savage though as it started with the Axis, then the M25 Walking Varminter, the Model 42, the B-Mag, and now this. I really don't care for the big bulbous charging handle either, but I can live with it and I'm sure someone will come up with a more aesthetically pleasing replacement down the road.

On the up side though, it's FINALLY something completely new not only to Savage - and addresses an area they had all but ignored in their lineup for years - a good semi-auto rimfire. I expect a 22 Mag version will follow shortly as its little more than screwing on a different barrel.

BTW, did you all catch that it uses a barrel nut?

Basic Member
    No doubt I need to get a closer look at one, but when I get one in my hot little hands, I will figure out a stock solution. The biggest obstacle I see is the crossbolt safety, and where it is located in the molded stock. Other than that, the rest looks to be very well engineered and made from the right stuff.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

In one of the videos Chris Bazzina noted they tested it for reliability with over a half million rounds. No wonder 17 HMR was hard to come by for awhile. Lol

Basic Member
    Well,
    Hope this one debuts better than the B Mag.
    In function.
    and
    In delivery date.
    and
    In ammo availability.
    Good luck to all who want one.
    Let him grow, Shoot a doe !

Basic Member
    >22 mag with a 10rd mag and I would start to get interested then add a 20" heavy barrel and a wood stock and I would buy one.

RyanMeyerhofer
    Got one on Preorder already....

Can't find it yet on savages site? Am I blind?

It's not listed anywhere on the website yet that I could find. I spoke with Bill Friday and should have one here in a couple weeks. Right now they're stockpiling production so that they can get them to all the dealers/distributors at the same time rather than trickling a few hundred out here and there as they're finished. Bill's supposed to be hooking me up with 400rds of the new CCI ammo as well.

Basic Member
    any idea of the price range for the rifle and Ammo?

IIRC the MSRP price for the rifle was mentioned in one of the above videos. As for ammo, all I know is that it's only being sold in 200ct boxes, so based on current 17 HMR 50ct box pricing I'd say probably around $50-60/box for the new high octane load.

Basic Member
    found it
    quote MSRP is $469.00 we were told. No one knows the “street price” yet but we expect that to be about $370.00. quote

Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    IIRC the MSRP price for the rifle was mentioned in one of the above videos. As for ammo, all I know is that it's only being sold in 200ct boxes, so based on current 17 HMR 50ct box pricing I'd say probably around $50-60/box for the new high octane load.

Do you know if it will function with the normal hmr ammo or does it have to be the new fancy ammo?

Basic Member
    they say the regular 17Hmr will work ok :) the new ammo is HOTTER :) unless I read it wrong it better work ok or they will be starting all over again with the same mess as the 17 WSM ammo and rifle's
    Last edited by Lonewulf; 02-26-2015 at 09:35 AM.

Yep, functions fine with the standard ammo. The new ammo is just a little hotter and is 100fps faster. Bill told me they actually pull a sample from each production lot for QC/function testing and run several magazines of mixed ammo through them to ensure they're up to snuff. New ammo will also work just fine in any other 17 HMR rifle you have.

He kind of hinted to the headaches and issues they went through with the early 17WSM rifles and they've upped their game to ensure this roll-out goes a lot smoother.

leo158
    Any info when this is supposed to hit the shelves? Then how long before able to customize it like a 10/22.

Supposed to start shipping sometime in March. As for the latter I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry as the aftermarket is usually pretty slow to pick up on a brand new model for obvious reasons. No sense in devoting time and resources to developing a new product if the item it fits hasn't yet proven it will be around awhile.

Basic Member
    e-mailed CCI about the availability of the ammo, their reply LOL

Jeff, we have been shipping this ammunition since the first of the year and have shipped millions of rounds. We sell only to distributors, they sell to the dealers, dealers sell to you, we have no way to tell who has product in stock or when they will receive stock. We are continuing to make this round and shipping on a regular bases.

where is it at?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast