Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Savage's new A17 Semi-Auto 17HMR Rifle

tc07

a17 feeding problems

Just picked up the new a17 and took it out to the range today. However, almost every time I fire, the magazine releases and falls on the ground and another round wont chamber. I also noticed that it was denting the next casing that it would try to chamber. I'm using the Hornady ammo. I know they recommend the CCI, but all they had was the Hornady and they claimed other ammo should work fine. Any idea what's wrong? Someone told me they thought it may just be the magazine. It's a 10 round rotary mag.

And so it begins..............

Reminiscent of the first range reports from new B-Mag owners.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

thomae
    Well, first, I'd try the CCI ammo.

I'd also look at the magazine retention/latch very carefully and make sure there is no crud or manufacturing debris that is keeping it from fully locking into place.

leo158
    Quote Originally Posted by tc07 View Post
    almost every time I fire, the magazine releases and falls on the ground and another round wont chamber..
    Cause your magazines on the ground it cant chamber unless in the rifle....... Ok the video I watched the guy did have trouble with the second round not chambering... Maybe just try 9 rnds in the mag and see if that helps with feed problem...
    I really think this A17 is going to be a really good rifle...I was not really drawn to the Bmag nor am I still... My 17 hornet fills that void... Would like to have the 17HH in an AR platform though...

Finally got the A17 ammo in today that I was promised, but still no sign of the rifle (which I was told on 3/10 would be shipped out UPS Red Label by the end of that week).

In other news, I did see this video on YouTube yesterday that has left me a bit disappointed in Savage's efforts on this new model.

"Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I'll add the Savage 42 to your list.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

The 42's ugly as sin, but at least it's functional...other than the sights. And since it's a single-shot with a 2-piece stock you don't get the flex like you do on the long rifle stocks that are hogged out for the trigger and magazine bits.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    my BIL went to a gun show today and called me, they had a A17 17Hmr and he got them down to $410 so he bought it and brought it home to me :)
    Last edited by thomae; 03-22-2015 at 08:17 AM.

Basic Member
    now to find a couple extra clips,,,,, guess I'll call Savage Monday

anybody have the toll free savage number handy?
    Last edited by Lonewulf; 03-22-2015 at 07:29 AM.

ranger56528
    Got my A17 Thursday and my A17 ammo arrived Friday now to get to the range.

leo158
    I know on ARs the lower other than the trigger has very little if any to do with accuracy.
    . Also ARs you can hear the spring when using certain stocks... This is not an AR but I don't see any real issues that will prevent this gun from being a really good gun..
    When the gun is put back together I am sure there is very little flex with the fire control..
    Being a polymer lower does not worry me one bit.. They been out for years starting with plumb crazy and they have perfected them to this age... There is a lot of polymer lowers on ARs these days that have been proven just or more reliable than metal lowers... That goes for uppers also.. I am sure with some little tweaking and after market parts to follow as the 10/22... You will be able to change out what ever you want to ones likeness... I am sure this rifle will be a huge hit....And nothing I seen or really heard made this rifle non-functional.
    They have them here for 375 now... Might wait for a heavy barrel..

leo158
    Also I just watched video again on the big screen.... If you watch how he has the lower in the vice you can see its locked on the trigger guard between the leather jaws... That is where most of the play is coming from.. Its the leather that seems to be giving all the extra flex and not so much the receiver.. I might be wrong though...

Was able to put my hands on the A17 today at my local Bi-Mart. $367.99. My first impression of it is that it looks very cheaply made. Very very lightweight with lots of plastic. While looking at the magazine, it just didn't look like it was locked in the rifle correctly. I tried moving it around and nothing changed. I have have not shot the rifle, so I cant speak on functionality.y Lots of Hornady 17 HMR ammo on the shelf, $13.00 a box.

308 Hunter
    I`m waiting on this one. I`ll wait for them to get the bugs out and perhaps offer a wood stock option for a little more money in the future. Just never liked plastic stocks. A semi-auto is very interesting though in this caliber. I could not personally justify putting an expensive custom wooden stock on this rifle in it`s current connotation, perhaps you feel differently, everyone`s different.

Jimr

Pretty good shooter...

Quote Originally Posted by 308 Hunter View Post
    I`m waiting on this one. I`ll wait for them to get the bugs out and perhaps offer a wood stock option for a little more money in the future. Just never liked plastic stocks. A semi-auto is very interesting though in this caliber. I could not personally justify putting an expensive custom wooden stock on this rifle in it`s current connotation, perhaps you feel differently, everyone`s different.
    My two cents----
    I have have spent about 50 rds worth of time with my new A17 w/vortex diamond back 3x12-42 ao scope.
    Can't get better than 3/4" grip at 50 yds.
    i believe I could improve this with another trigger or modify this one?
    this trigger is not very good!
    i don't mind the travel but it feels like it must be 6-7lbs.
    the adjustment does nothing, good or bad!
    i found that the mag has to be seated firmly.
    no problems with non A17 CCI ammo.

i like it and will solve the trigger issue!

Basic Member
    I too, will be on the list of wait and see... Hopefully Savage will correct these problems and in turn, send out a solid platform.

For those of you having magazine retention issues, are you inserting the magazine with the bolt closed or open? I always inserted my mags with the bolt locked open and never had a single issue with them falling out using 4 different magazines. Just curious if maybe the two are correlated.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123