Thread: About to give up on the whole Savage Long Action build thing.

Basic Member

About to give up on the whole Savage Long Action build thing.

If this is in the wrong forum I apologize.
    First, let me say that I have built several SA Savages with great results. Many required lots of sweat equity and $$. I love Savage actions and accuracy.
    However, I am at the end of my rope with my current LA build. I need to vent.

My latest build which is supposed to be an inexpensive, simple build, .270 hunter with light Varmint barrel and "Synthetic" stock.
    I acquired a very nice flat back 110 Staggered Feed action for a song.
    I acquired a nice stainless light varmint barrel for a song.
    So far I am only $300 in on cost max.

Then comes time to look for a decent low cost synthetic stock for my build.
    Look at several hunter type stocks that fit. Manners, B&C, HS, McMillan, etc. But they cost an arm and a leg, blowing my inexpensive build budget.
    Everyone recommends Boyd's. You can get a Prairie Hunter for about $115. Oh but wait, it's not synthetic, heard their service sucks and then you need to relieve the barrel channel, install pillars and bed.
    Then I am told to look for a B&C Duramaxx. Kinda like looking for hens teeth as far as I can tell. I guess they are not even being made anymore.
    OK, how about a Savage synthetic stock with pillars off of eBay. I bid on no less than 5. Each time to be outbid at the end by someone willing to spend upwards of $80 on a piece of cheap plastic.
    Now I try Numrich. Replacement Savage synthetic stocks for $125? I don't think so.

So I am down to my last resort. I posted on this site hoping to find someone with a Long Action Synthetic stock with pillars they are willing to part with. If that doesn't work, I don't see too many options in completing my inexpensive LA build.

Any suggestions before I throw in the towel? And no, that act is physically impossible. ;-)

Thanks for letting me vent.
    Last edited by TORCHRIDER; 01-20-2015 at 07:53 PM.

shawnb
    How much are you looking to spend? Where does your buget lie. Look at stockade stocks.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnb View Post
    How much are you looking to spend? Where does your buget lie. Look at stockade stocks.
    I was hoping for sub $200.

As I red your list of parts and desired outcome, it falls in line with everybody's dream. A semi custom SS barreled with a custom pillar bedded stock, .25 MOA rifle for $500. Was that with or without the Sav 2 or SSS trigger, the PTG bolt body and head, timed and trued with the Nightforce ATACR on top?

Twinsen
    Is there a long action Accustock?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    As I red your list of parts and desired outcome, it falls in line with everybody's dream. A semi custom SS barreled with a custom pillar bedded stock, .25 MOA rifle for $500. Was that with or without the Sav 2 or SSS trigger, the PTG bolt body and head, timed and trued with the Nightforce ATACR on top?
    Really? Is that what you "red" from my list of parts and desired outcome? Flame On Little Johnny.

Team Savage
    I may have a Duramaxx. I'll check later.
    Stu

Basic Member
    What about a Hogue?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YDKDY View Post
    What about a Hogue?
    Hogue is an option, but wherever I solicit comments they all seem to be pretty bad. Have you had good experiences with them?

Basic Member
    No, no experiences, but I'm also building a Swede in a LA and looked at them in my frustrating search for a stock. Some folks really seemed to like them, but not all. I went with a Choate tactical for my varmint contour barrel. Good luck.

D.ID
    I am a big advocate of the choate tactical........
    I have a Duramax (SA) that's inletting was all screwed up from the factory (crooked), fixed it before I realized how much I hated it.....still leaning in the corner unused.......Can't recomend...........
    That being said: Won't the staggered feed LA work in any LA stock?............................................ .like the pile of unused LA hog hunter stocks leaning in that same corner.

FYI:
    old wood stock for LA flat back is not going to have pillars, for the pain and suffering you are enduring, just go ahead and buy a boyds stock and install pillars.
    decent stock at reasonable price is an issue for savage, I am thinking of a kelby action for my 338 build, I know it is blasphemy to talk about but as soon as I win the lottery..... :-)
    newbie from gr, mi.

Quote Originally Posted by TORCHRIDER View Post
    Really? Is that what you "red" from my list of parts and desired outcome? Flame On Little Johnny.
    I was just yanking your chain. But if you look at it realistically most of us spend 350 plus for a custom stock. If you want one for 200 you will need to be at the right place at the right time. Or I could meet you in Round Rock and trade you $300 for your barreled action.
    Last edited by Robinhood; 01-20-2015 at 10:16 PM. Reason: fixed capital letter before torch "flames" me

D.ID
    "So I am down to my last resort. I posted on this site hoping to find someone with a Long Action Synthetic stock with pillars they are willing to part with. If that doesn't work, I don't see too many options in completing my inexpensive LA build. "
    Centerfeed blind mag stock work with staggered action?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
    "So I am down to my last resort. I posted on this site hoping to find someone with a Long Action Synthetic stock with pillars they are willing to part with. If that doesn't work, I don't see too many options in completing my inexpensive LA build. "
    Centerfeed blind mag stock work with staggered action?
    CF blind mags stocks are easily adapted for SF blind mag actions,. You just have to be willing to use your dremel and bedding compound to get it done.

Team Savage
    I've got a green w/ black spider web Duramaxx. The rear pillar's been cut down to Accommodate center feed. Should be able to bed it. 75 bucks shipped.
    Stu

Basic Member
    Stu, Thank you for the offer, but I think I've found a standard Savage LA synthetic stock with pillars at little to no cost from a generous forum member.

Team Savage
    Okay.. I also found a factory synthetic stock with pillars that i'll let go for cheap, if you end up needing it.
    Stu

Choate tactical from e Arthur brown, $199, full aluminum bedding block, its heavy but its a solid stock....
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Basic Member
    It sounds like you've found your stock, but just in case and for information sake....I built a .223 on a Boyds stock and did not install pillars out of laziness to see how it would shoot. I did use some aluminum tape around the inside of the stock where it mates to the action as sort of an impromptu and quick "bedding" fix. It absolutely shoots lights out in this stock with a factory 20" varmint weight used Savage barrel I picked up in the classifieds on here. These stocks are really nice, and I think will shoot great with no work out of the box.
    Now, I'm not going to try to argue whether it would make a difference and do better bedded/pillared, etc., but it shoots some of the smallest groups now I've ever shot with any of my rifles.
    Here's my load up work for 69 smk....that smallest group is in the teens.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teebirdhyzer View Post
    It sounds like you've found your stock, but just in case and for information sake....I built a .223 on a Boyds stock and did not install pillars out of laziness to see how it would shoot. I did use some aluminum tape around the inside of the stock where it mates to the action as sort of an impromptu and quick "bedding" fix. It absolutely shoots lights out in this stock with a factory 20" varmint weight used Savage barrel I picked up in the classifieds on here. These stocks are really nice, and I think will shoot great with no work out of the box.
    Now, I'm not going to try to argue whether it would make a difference and do better bedded/pillared, etc., but it shoots some of the smallest groups now I've ever shot with any of my rifles.
    Here's my load up work for 69 smk....that smallest group is in the teens.
    This is good info. Thanks for sharing. I just might have to look into a Boyds at some point.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    Okay.. I also found a factory synthetic stock with pillars that i'll let go for cheap, if you end up needing it.
    Thank You Stu. I will certainly let you know.

Basic Member
    Torchrider, I understand your frustration. I've been building a fairly simple wildcat since Oct.- Nov. 2013. I've had to deal with 6 mos. delivery instead of 6 weeks, wrong parts, wrong headspace gauge and bottom metal/magazine. Bedded and installed pillars and because the throat on the reamer is quite a bit longer than what I expected, so the rounds needed to be +/- .250" longer fit the chamber. Then they were .250+/- longer than the stock's blind mag could accept. I had to remove most of the bedding and remove 1 pillar. I'll stop there but, there is quite a bit more. It's become personal and I'll be d@xxed if I'm going to let luck, karma or whatever beat me. I'm hoping to have it finished by deer season this August 15th. Relax, take a deep breath and don't give up. You aren't the only one in this boat, Paul
    Last edited by scpaul; 01-23-2015 at 10:34 AM.