Thread: Looking for Scope Recommendation for a Model 11 FCNS

bg380

Looking for Scope Recommendation for a Model 11 FCNS

I am saving up for the Model 11 FCNS and would like your thoughts on a good quality, reasonably priced (lower end of price range) scope and mounts.

Thank you for your time.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bg380 View Post
    I am saving up for the Model 11 FCNS and would like your thoughts on a good quality, reasonably priced (lower end of price range) scope and mounts.

Thank you for your time.
    please give more details. Hunting or target? Furthest distance you wish to shoot? Budget? caliber of your rifle?

bg380
    Thanks for your response. I mainly want this rifle for varmint control (gray diggers and coyotes). Looking at either .223 Rem or .243 Win. Some target work to keep in practice. Ranges probably average 50-100 yds. sometimes out to 200 yds.

Would like to keep it under $200. I am thinking Vortex Diamondback at this point.

Thanks again.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bg380 View Post
    Thanks for your response. I mainly want this rifle for varmint control (gray diggers and coyotes). Looking at either .223 Rem or .243 Win. Some target work to keep in practice. Ranges probably average 50-100 yds. sometimes out to 200 yds.

Would like to keep it under $200. I am thinking Vortex Diamondback at this point.

Thanks again.
    I like those but also look into burris fullfield II and Nikon buckmasters....great bang for the buck as well. For deer hunting id normally suggest a simple 3-9x40 but you might want some more power for varmint out to 200...P-dogs have tiny kill zones and may require some good power to see clearly at 200 yards. You can find 4.5-14x42 on ebay for under 250 sometimes right at the 200 mark. I have one and it has been great.

Basic Member
    buckmasters are on sale at natchez

bg380
    Quote Originally Posted by JWW123 View Post
    buckmasters are on sale at natchez
    Thanks for the heads up!

Basic Member
    I have the exact model in .300 WSM (http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...t=1st+shortmag). I know it's $100 more than your budget but a fixed SWFA scope (http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-Classic-Rifl...s--C12502.aspx) in 16x or 20X for $300 (less for used if they have any http://www.samplelist.com/Riflescopes-C3391.aspx) would be my recommendation target and varminting, esp. for the little critters.

Good luck!
    Last edited by FEENIX; 02-01-2015 at 12:34 PM.

Basic Member
    The weaver v-16 is also on sale at natchez

Quote Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
    I have the exact model in .300 WSM (http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...t=1st+shortmag). I know it's $100 more than your budget but a fixed SWFA scope (http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-Classic-Rifl...s--C12502.aspx) in 16x or 20X for $300 (less for used if they have any http://www.samplelist.com/Riflescopes-C3391.aspx) would be my recommendation target and varminting, esp. for the little critters.

Good luck!
    For what he's using it for a fixed power, high magnification scope would not be a good choice. Short range coyotes = fast moving = low magnification needed.

Lots of other good recommendations above, and I'd recommend also taking a look at the Redfield scopes as well. For the distances you're shooting you shouldn't need anything with more than 12 or 14x magnification on the high end. Even a 3-9x would suffice and work well, but I generally like a little more magnification for punching paper at 200 yards.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    For what he's using it for a fixed power, high magnification scope would not be a good choice. Short range coyotes = fast moving = low magnification needed.

Lots of other good recommendations above, and I'd recommend also taking a look at the Redfield scopes as well. For the distances you're shooting you shouldn't need anything with more than 12 or 14x magnification on the high end. Even a 3-9x would suffice and work well, but I generally like a little more magnification for punching paper at 200 yards.
    Yep, I know what you mean, that's why I said esp. for the small critters and targets. If you can see them at 200 yards with 3-9 or less by all means do so. Like you, I too prefer higher magnifications at 200 yard targets. As noted above prairie dogs or gophers have a very small kill zone and 16X or 20X is ideal; if there are more fast moving coyotes than the small critters then I would probably go with 6X or less, however, at 6X there is no way I can see them little critters.

Cheers!

Basic Member
    Another consideration is the Konus 3-12x44 with .550 ballistic reticle for $269 with free shipping at Planet Optics (http://www.opticsplanet.com/konus-3-...c-reticle.html). I have this scope on my wife's AR (http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.as...ms=wife%27s,AR)

Primary Arms 4-14x44 FFP. $230 and you'll have a tough time finding a bad review.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    I just sold a redfield revolution 4-12×40 on here a few days ago. Very good scope for the money and the buyer was impressed. If ya havnt looked at one, they're worth taking a look at

Quote Originally Posted by keeki View Post
    I just sold a redfield revolution 4-12×40 on here a few days ago. Very good scope for the money and the buyer was impressed. If ya havnt looked at one, they're worth taking a look at
    Not what they used to be when they were made and assembled in the US, but reasonably close.
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    The revolution is made and assembled in Oregon

Better look harder. It's made in China and assembled in the U.S.

Ok, I was wrong, see post below.......
    Last edited by Hotolds442; 02-01-2015 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Misinformation

Basic Member
    Mine said made in usa on it

I just called my buddy at Leupold Product Development, and he confirmed that the Revolution series is designed, manufactured, and assembled in the USA. The Revenge series, however, uses outsourced parts but are designed and assembled in the USA. My bad.

Basic Member
    I knew the revolution was the only one built here. But I have handled the revenge also and it too is a nice piece for the price

Basic Member
    I think the revenge is Phillipines made

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keeki View Post
    I think the revenge is Phillipines made
    Yep! However, as long as the quality assurance is there, it really doesn't matter.

I wish that we start seeing all US made products again ... and hopefully soon.
    Last edited by FEENIX; 02-01-2015 at 05:36 PM.

Basic Member
    Anyways, putting the revolution beside my vx2, the leupold is no clearer or brighter and if anything I give the revolution the nod. I don't know what leupold has in mind other than grabbing a market place with the redfield and then raising prices to match that of the leupold