Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Everyone who owns a BOYDs stock!

Basic Member

Everyone who owns a BOYDs stock!

All of you that owns a boyds stock...I have a couple questions.

1) weight? I know it depends which model you own but just trying to get a general idea what they weigh.
    2) Assuming you bedded it...what did you use for pillars?

Thanks guys!

LOL! Way to put half the members on the forum on the spot! 1. less then my walnut (I know wise A$$, but I didn't weight it before I mounted it.). 2. haven't gotten that far yet.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tufrthnails View Post
    LOL! Way to put half the members on the forum on the spot! 1. less then my walnut (I know wise A$$, but I didn't weight it before I mounted it.). 2. haven't gotten that far yet.
    lol...sorry! Although I like my B&C stock for my current savage, I think my next savage will carry the boyds stock unless it is a pig and weighs a lot so that is why I am asking. I couldn't find any info on their site.

Basic Member
    sorry didn't weigh either of my Bmag stocks or my axis before I mounted them :) e-mail Boyd's, I am sure they will give you a good idea on the weight, on the old Boyd's site I thought it said the weight, but do not see if listed on the new site

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonewulf View Post
    sorry didn't weigh either of my Bmag stocks or my axis before I mounted them :) e-mail Boyd's, I am sure they will give you a good idea on the weight, on the old Boyd's site I thought it said the weight, but do not see if listed on the new site
    Do you feel your total rifle weight is heavier or comparable to other rifles in the same class?

I'm in the "never weigh them" boat, but have also never bedded or pillared them. I've never found a reason that would cause me to "need" either. FWIW.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    I'm in the "never weigh them" boat, but have also never bedded or pillared them. I've never found a reason that would cause me to "need" either. FWIW.
    hmm...if your rifles shoot fine with out bedding that is great but I am looking to be sub 1/2MOA out to >500yards which most rifles will need to be bedded to ensure accuracy.

Basic Member
    I have 2 Boyd's stocks. The first is a thumbhole varmint Long action. I had the stock pillared and bedded by a local LGS. The front stock screws needed it because Boyd's uses a plastic insert for the escutcheon which sucks. The rear screw pillar is a real problem because it is in a tight space between the mag and the trigger. Half the pillar must be relieved to clear the trigger The rifle is a 6 mm BR with a Shilen target/varmint and now shoots consistently Well. The second is a classic walnut with a 110 long action used for hunting. It seems to be a very good stock I can't really comment regarding weight except that they seem to be in line with other wood stocks. Overall Boyd's stocks are a good buy when you look at others in the field.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by strut64 View Post
    I have 2 Boyd's stocks. The first is a thumbhole varmint Long action. I had the stock pillared and bedded by a local LGS. The front stock screws needed it because Boyd's uses a plastic insert for the escutcheon which sucks. The rear screw pillar is a real problem because it is in a tight space between the mag and the trigger. Half the pillar must be relieved to clear the trigger The rifle is a 6 mm BR with a Shilen target/varmint and now shoots consistently Well. The second is a classic walnut with a 110 long action used for hunting. It seems to be a very good stock I can't really comment regarding weight except that they seem to be in line with other wood stocks. Overall Boyd's stocks are a good buy when you look at others in the field.
    Thanks...I do know about the rear pillar needing to be cut for clearance. They sell premade ones with this cutout on the net but I am not sure if they would work with a boyds stock. I have also heard people using lamp rod which I feel I would be able to do as well. http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet...-Pillar/Detail here is a link to the pillars you can buy.

Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    Me neither. Seems like there is just some sort of "mantra" that you automatically pillar and bed a stock.

Mach2
    The Boyds walnut monte carlo or prarie hunter are fairly light if you pick the cheapest grain Boyds offers. That is what I used.. Mine feels light but I have never weighed a stock.
    If you want to pillar them you can use any metal conduit of desirable size. I have used copper conduit from an old water heater element that did great. A pillar is just a metal pipe cut at 90degs. You can order pillars if you like. Pretty easy to find something in your garage that will work though. It isn't like the pillars on Rugers that have V cuts in them. I wouldn't attempt to fabricate a Ruger pillar. Ruger pillars sit at a 45deg angle where as Savage pillars are straight up and down. 90degs that is. No magic there.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach2 View Post
    The Boyds walnut monte carlo or prarie hunter are fairly light if you pick the cheapest grain Boyds offers. That is what I used.. Mine feels light but I have never weighed a stock.
    If you want to pillar them you can use any metal conduit of desirable size. I have used copper conduit from an old water heater element that did great. A pillar is just a metal pipe cut at 90degs. You can order pillars if you like. Pretty easy to find something in your garage that will work though. It isn't like the pillars on Rugers that have V cuts in them. I wouldn't attempt to fabricate a Ruger pillar. Ruger pillars sit at a 45deg angle where as Savage pillars are straight up and down. 90degs that is. No magic there.
    true I was mainly concerned about the rear pillar. When you fabricate your rear pillar did you first install the pillars and then cut the rear for the clearance for the sear or did you cut for sear first and then install?

Mach2
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigeclipse View Post
    true I was mainly concerned about the rear pillar. When you fabricate your rear pillar did you first install the pillars and then cut the rear for the clearance for the sear or did you cut for sear first and then install?
    If you use a thin rear pillar such as copper from an old water heater element or pneumatic tubing it is thinner and clears the sear. I have seen pillars from Brownells that are beefier and wont clear the sear. Using lamp post tubing can be a problem for the rear pillar since it is fairly wide. This is true for Boyds stocks for some Mausers thus a thinner pillar is needed. The rear pillar requires a little rearrangement and thinking. I try to avoid filing anything off the sear by way of thinner pillar or filing one side of the rear pillar flat in order to clear. Play it by ear because different models need more or less clearance..

Pillars and glass bedding are both methods of bedding. I have never glass bedded a pillared stock(double bedding). Some do both. I'm sure iy can't hurt accuracy to do both.

I think youll like the Boyds. Make sure you get the right stock. Savages have a lot of different action screw placements. This makes ordering stocks tricky
    Last edited by Mach2; 01-20-2015 at 04:18 PM.

Basic Member
    The stock you order makes all the difference

My old thumbhole laminate was pretty heavy made for a good bench rig.

The tacticool is light for its size. Cheaper laminate im sure.

I have a classic laminate that is solid and of reasonable weight. Not heavy not light.

Basic Member
    Depending on model their stocks weigh between 2.3 and 2.8lbs

seanhagerty
    I used lamp cord all thread to pillar bed mine.

I am a hack, but I just drilled the holes out larger than the all thread, cut the front post so that the action screw head was below flush on the stock. I cut the rear one to make the trigger guard flush with the stock, and cut a recess for the sear/trigger stuff. then I put devcon in the screw holes, smeared the pillars with it too and bolted it together. Use a lot of release agent. Then put more on. I pillar bedded it, then went back and bedded the action and recoil lug. I was a lot more brave on my $100 boyds stock than I would be on a $500 one.

Mach2
    Quote Originally Posted by seanhagerty View Post
    I was a lot more brave on my $100 boyds stock than I would be on a $500 one.
    I ordered an unfinished $85 walnut Prairie Hunter and did a lot of reshaping and pillar bed it for my first attempt at creating my own design. I would never have attempted this on a $500 stock. Heck, I would not have attempted this on a finished $85 stock either.

seanhagerty
    I ordered an unfinished $85 walnut Prairie Hunter and did a lot of reshaping and pillar bed it for my first attempt at creating my own design. I would never have attempted this on a $500 stock. Heck, I would not have attempted this on a finished $85 stock either.
    I agree. Once its done, and it works, dont try to improve on something that works!!

defoxer
    classic, Laminate, 1.306kg or 2.88lb. It had been bedded so theres a bit of extra mass in the compound (I did spend some time 'removing' the extra...)

thomae
    Don't know the weight, but used lamp rod for pillars. i made the cutout for the rear pillar after I installed it.

Team Savage
    +1^^^. Savage wood stocks usually weight between 2.25 lbs and 3 lbs depending on style. A laminated stock is heavier than a walnut or hardwood stock. Adding a 1" recoil pad increases weight. As already stated, pillars can be made with any tubular metal. Lamp rods are easy. Savage pillar kits are available on Ebay or Stocky's Gun Stocks for a price. Notch the rear pillar before you bed, or the heat generated cutting the metal in place will melt the bedding.
    Last edited by jpdown; 01-27-2015 at 11:06 AM.

Everyone who owns a BOYDs stock!

I didn't weigh my stock before I put it together. But I did weigh it completed. 13lbs 15oz unloaded. It's a boyds pro varmint stock. Pillared with lamp rod and bedded with jb weld. 26" Varmint contour 280ai. Ptg fluted bolt body and PTG bolt head. Glades bolt handle. Precision recoil lug. Metal trigger guard. Je custom assassin muzzle break. Blackhawk 20moa rail, US optics rings. Vortex viper hs 4-16x44, vortex scope level. And a cheap bipod.

Oh and it's 14.25" or 14.5" length of pull so it's a little longer than standard.

Mach2
    Interesting caliber. Looks like you could get a thousand yards out with that setup.. What would you compare 280AI too? Is it discernable from 280 as far as recoil? R&W72 how does that rifle carry in the field?

Interesting caliber. Looks like you could get a thousand yards out with that setup.. What would you compare 280AI too? Is it discernable from 280 as far as recoil? R&W72 how does that rifle carry in the field?
    I just finished it last night so I haven't carried it in the field. I probably won't carry it much. It turned out heavier than I was expecting.

I only shot it a hand full of times with the tupperware stock before I tore it apart and put the boyds on. With the assassin muzzle break it has very little recoil. I haven't shot it without the break to compare. They say the 280ai comes close to the 7mm just without the recoil. The balastics are relatively close.

Mach2
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdown View Post
    +1^^^. A laminated stock is heavier than a walnut or hardwood stock.
    I wanted to highlight this fact for those who are building a hunting rifle. Laminates are mostly glue. They are the best material for bench guns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast