Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange rquest from Ebay buyer

Basic Member

Strange rquest from Ebay buyer

Guys, I just sold a .223 barrel on e-bay for a pretty good "buy it now" price. It was a very quick sale (I think it sold almost as soon as it was available in the search engine). No big deal. Then, I get what I think is a strange request from the buyer:

Hi
    Please when you ship it don't put anything with it.
    * No paper work (no bill ,no busniess card ,
    no packing list)
    I prefer to put it in plastic pipe and glue both ends

thanks

Also, the name I am sending it to is Middle Eastern. Not that that means anything. Of course it doesn't. But don't you think that's a weird request? As a financial planner, I am required to report any strange requests I get for financial transactions. This one would certainly qualify for that.

What do you all think?

But don't you think that's a weird request?
    No way would I even consider that request. Would most definitely consider that a "strange request" and would report it. To me it would be foolish not to report it.

But don't you think that's a weird request?
    Definitely! No way would I honor that request. Would consider that a very "strange request" and would report it. To me it would be foolish not to report it. Personally if I did sell it to him (I would not) I would send it in a USPS priority box with delivery confirmation.

LongRange
    that would make me want to back out of the sale foxx...make sure you wipe it down good before you ship it so your prints arent on it LMAO!!

Basic Member
    In financial services industry it's called a "Red Flag".

We are supposed to quietly report without tipping the person off. I will do so, but I am wondering who to call? "Ghost Busters"?

Basic Member
    Well ebay should be notified of this. They can be a bit paranoid on things such as even (maybe) there might have (at one time) been nazi markings on an item.

Atf

Basic Member
    I don't know what could be gained or lost by you putting that info in it or not putting the info in it. A barrel is not a controlled item and it can be shipped to anyone legally. But it's definitely weird

Basic Member
    Maybe he's a tree hugger and don't want you to waste paper.lol

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keeki View Post
    I don't know what could be gained or lost by you putting that info in it or not putting the info in it. A barrel is not a controlled item and it can be shipped to anyone legally. But it's definitely weird
    Right. I am thinking, "What's the point?" And my name and address is on the package. If he is trying to hide something (other than the price, from his wife), I don't see what he's gaining with that request. It is what it is. Why be so mysterious?

11. 01-18-2015, 08:55 PM

Reason
    No need for name calling

Here is how I see it....

An individual entered into a legal contract with you. This person met your, and eBay's terms as far as being a buyer and presumably Paypal user. I see nothing gained by even mentioning the individual's name being "Middle Eastern". But if you, or others' opinions differ then by all means look the individual up. You could call local police, you could search arrest records, you could do a lot of things.

The individual made a "request". He would like you to do this and that. You obviously have a choice to make. However, a request is just that..... a request. You are not obligated to meet that "request". If you want to include "paper work", "a bill" "a business card" or a "packing list" along with the barrel that's your prerogative.

My opinion differs from others whom have posted. I see nothing wrong with the individual requesting, and I also see nothing wrong with you not meeting that request and shipping the barrel off like you would any legal item that can be sold on eBay, paid through Paypal, and shipped legally here in the U.S.

That's what I think.

Basic Member
    Have you asked the buyer to explain his "odd" request?

Quote Originally Posted by MoJo59 View Post
    Why don't you ask him for his strange request's? Or don't sell to him. Myself don't trust Rag-Heads.
    I will perceive you as being an American, living in the greatest country in the world. With that being said, you are entitled to your opinion.

D.ID
    What would you report? Guys being weird........
    OK and?
    Pack it up and ship it like you normally would and advise him of your intent to do so.
    Back ground check for what? Even if he had a background.....so what?
    If he fulfills his end of the bargain.......For sale+sold=$.
    If you had an alarming reason for concern other than weird that would be one thing. Some folks are weird naturally, many of us even have weird names to.

Basic Member
    D.ID,
    I see it both ways. I have every intention of sending it him. He bought it, and he isn't asking for anything unethical or illegal, I really don't have a legal reason not to. In fact, I am contractually obligated to do so. Just thinking it should be reported and let "authorities" decide if there is any need for concern or whatever.

I guess I am just careful b/c of my training in complying with the "Patriot Act."

Well, thanks, all for your input.

charb52
    maybe its a gift ad he doesnt want the person the see any of the info when they open it?

Twinsen
    It isn't a controlled item. I'd just do what he asks. There are lots of weirdos on the internet.

You think he's gonna use it to hijack an airliner? I bet he's gonna give it to somebody so they can put .224 holes into paper.

A felon could walk into a store and purchase a barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by charb52 View Post
    maybe its a gift ad he doesnt want the person the see any of the info when they open it?
    That was my guess.

Berger.Fan222
    Privacy regarding firearms should not suggest evil in the 21st century. It just suggests privacy.

D.ID
    I hear you fox but weird is nothing to be worried about.
    "I guess I am just careful b/c of my training in complying with the "Patriot Act."................I would be the first to turn on anyone I believed had evil intent................but doing the devils work just makes you a devil.

Basic Member
    Maybe he dont want his wife to know what he spent or that he was on ebay again??

Odd indeed.

I'm with Carvera on both of his posts. The "Rag Head" comment was uncalled for as well.

Furthermore, if the buyer thinks they are flying under the radar in any of numerous avenues, all any government entity has to do is scan the shipping label and/or look at the Post Office records and they know the who and where on both ends of the transaction. It no longer even takes a search warrant. Talk to ebay, The Patriot Act has forced financial institutions to give the governments agents unlimited access to everyone's pay pal and bank accounts and through every avenue possible, record all firearms and firearm parts transactions. I have had this conversation with them and my banker, there is no secrecy or anonymity anymore.

Basic Member
    Maybe he doesnt want his wife to know he bought ANOTHER gun part. Or the other thing that comes to mind is hes reselling it and pretty much gonna use you to drop ship to his new customer. The glued pipe stuff is weird but a good way to keep it protected.

Quote Originally Posted by shooterfpga
    Or the other thing that comes to mind is hes reselling it and pretty much gonna use you to drop ship to his new customer. The glued pipe stuff is weird but a good way to keep it protected.
    In that case you are obligated to put all of your info in the cardboard tube.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    In that case you are obligated to put all of your info in the cardboard tube.
    Ha ha. He's getting a cardboard tube, anyway.

Basic Member
    Just given the fact that you posted here and there are all these comments about red flags and such, I would tell eBay I want out of the deal due to the weird request. Better safe than sorry. Call me paranoid, but everything you type is stored forever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast