Thread: Head shot on hog...does bullet type matter?

Cam

Head shot on hog...does bullet type matter?

Here is the entire question. This load is for hunting hogs and punching holes in paper. Only head shots will be taken, shots to be placed right behind the ear. I have a very accurate load using Sierra MK bullets. I know these are not recommended hunting rounds for traditional heart/lung shots. But I am planning on stirring up grey matter with this load, so should I worry about the SMK doing the job I need it to?

I have used factory ammunition for hogs and every time I hit them behind the ear they drop immediately. My theory is the most accurate load will be the best since I am not relying on bullet expansion to kill the animal. Thanks in advance,

Joe

Basic Member
    You didn't mention caliber of the SMK's you're going to use. I've killed a lot of hogs here in CenTex with FMJ's that passed right through their heads and punched their lights out, right now. If you're going to be shooting them behind the ear with at least a .243 caliber rifle, your SMK's will work just fine. And you're right: bullet placement is critical, so your most accurate load will serve you best!

DaveD
    They hogs in Texas with 22lr so...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWZIFEMZamk

Basic Member
    I've shot them with calibers from 17 hmr up. All of them dropped on a brain shot. I did not plan on using a small caliber but that is what I had at hand.

I do prefer at least a 223 even for the brain shots and usually use my 308 with tough bullets as I can take less than optimum shots that I would not take with a 223. I have let a few walk because I was not sure of shot placement with the smaller calibers.

Hogs can be hard to recover with poor shot placement.

Head shot on hog...does bullet type matter?

I've had great results with 168 gr Hornady A-Max's with head shots. I think your SMK's will do fine.
    Just remember, it never hurts to shoot them twice.

Luke45
    i used to shoot hogs with a 69 gr smk when i lived in texas for a couple years. the SMK will frag when heavy pig skull is hit, dropping pig in tracks every single time. i love bullets that frag on head shots for pigs, even if you hit low and miss brain or spine they will die from the shock wave being that close.

Basic Member
    Boy, sitting here with a nasty headache, reading this thread, isn't the best thread to read. :)