Thread: Federal Premium 80 grain

Basic Member

Federal Premium 80 grain

Not accuracy issue but does not fall under any subcatagory on forum.

Savage 12 F/TR in .223

I purchased some of the above to try it out. First round of the day. It went into the chamber only with pressure. Decided not to fire it. Opened the bolt and pulled back. Casing came out, but no bullet. Pushed bullet out from muzzle with a wooden dowel. Powder came out of casing all over chamber face area. Looked at an unfired round. Looked at another brand. The Federal was considerably longer. Is there a problem with me, Savage or Federal? Someone at range said I had a short action and that was the problem. I wouldn't know a short one from a medium or long one.

Any ideas, please.

Can you re-check the weight and bullet listed on the box?

I could not find an 80 grain bullet on the Federal web page for the .223 Remington.

You do have an ammunition challenge regardless of possible typos in the title.

A good approach is to determine whether your chamber is tight or short, or the ammunition is the issue.

First step is to try chambering the ammunition in a different rifle.

• If you get the same result, send your findings to Federal.
    • If the unfired cartridge extracts easily from the second rifle, then send your findings to Savage.

Looking forward to seeing what you find!

Basic Member
    JA- thanks for response. When I get home from work, I will post what it says on the box and measure what I can measure.

Basic Member
    Not home yet, but here is the page from Lucky Gunner.

http://www.luckygunner.com/223-rem-8...atch-20-rounds

The ammunition may indeed be designed for a different chamber. Check the box for a caution about single shot and match chambers.

One of my correspondents sent this link: http://usarmorment.com/ammunition-c-...se-p-2042.html

Basic Member
    JA-

Thank you for the link.

No warning whatsoever on box. I have the same ammo- XM223M1

I am single shot with the Target action, Savage #18890. Whether or not it is a "throated match barrel" I do not know. I can't even get an answer from Savage on a ticket I sent in on January 5 about every round having a very slight scratch on it about 1/16" inch in length from the neck downward. Support ticket still "unassigned" which is getting me increasingly ticked off after seven days. A call to Savage's executive offices will be made in the morning. I will also ask if the barrel is a "throated match barrel".

Basic Member
    I have a suggestion, more of a question really, and keep in mind that I am a newbie here and totally ignorant on this subject, but wanting to learn as much as I can. So my question is more for my benefit, and may or may not be any use to you more experienced shooter.

You probably have a OAL gage by Hornaday or someone else, have you checked the base to ogive measurement on this new cartridge?

I am new at hand loading and am trying my best to not blow up my new gun, so I make a new dummy cartridge for every bullet I want to load using my Hornaday OAL gage and bullet comparator, and set the bullet just touching the lands. This way I have an immediate reference tool to compare with when I want to setup a new load off the lands by say, .020.

I am going to guess that this XM223M1 cartridge is not crimped as that might be detrimental to accuracy. Would it be possible to set the bullet back a bit or would could that result in a compressed load?

Again, this is just me trying to get "edjumacated" about this fascinating new hobby. BTW, there are some great links attached to this thread! The comments following the Lucky Gunner 223/5.56 research( LuckyGunner Labs: .223 vs 5.56 Ammo - What You Know May Be Wrong ) were just as illuminating as the article.

The bullets were pushed into the lands when you closed the bolt so that is why you felt resistance. Why not just go to your press and seat the bullets a bit deeper? Better yet just shoot another type of ammunition. Your Savage 223 has a twist of 1-9. The 80gr Sierra Match King requires a 1-8 or less so it is not the best choice for your Savage. Been there.

Basic Member
    Still unassigned re: ticket with Savage, now 11 days.
    No answer from Federal for last several days.

Texas- I don't reload ...... yet. If I start, it will be over my daughter's unheated garage next to my cot. As it stands now, I will accede to my wife's wishes.

Sunday, if a particular RO shows up, I will give him a few rounds and the empty one and see what he says. He was a competitive Creedmore shooter before his eyes gave out and has been making his own loads since about 1880.

wbm- I have a 1:7 twist and I don't got no press.

Might consider some of the Black Hills ammunition.

Basic Member
    I have been shooting the 75 and 55 grain Black Hills. I like it, but I like the Remington 77 Grain Premiere Match Super Duper rounds more.

Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    The bullets were pushed into the lands when you closed the bolt so that is why you felt resistance. Why not just go to your press and seat the bullets a bit deeper? Better yet just shoot another type of ammunition. Your Savage 223 has a twist of 1-9. The 80gr Sierra Match King requires a 1-8 or less so it is not the best choice for your Savage. Been there.
    +1, the 1 in 9 twist won't stabilize that 80 grain boat tail.

Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    A note of caution -- pushing the bullets in deeper will decrease the volume and WILL increase pressures. The factory load might already be a compressed load which further makes seating deeper a bad idea.

Shooting with the bullet pressed into the lands WILL INCREASE pressures even more.

In other words, get the problem resolved through your gunsmith, Savage, or Federal before using it!

Quote Originally Posted by Fotheringill View Post
    Not accuracy issue but does not fall under any subcatagory on forum.

Savage 12 F/TR in .223

I purchased some of the above to try it out. First round of the day. It went into the chamber only with pressure. ...

... Someone at range said I had a short action and that was the problem. I wouldn't know a short one from a medium or long one.

Any ideas, please.
    First off, do not take advice from whoever that person was at the range as action length has absolutely nothing to do with this.

The actual problem seems pretty easy and straight forward to me, you throat in the rifle is not long enough to support the COL of that complete round. So as WBM stated, your bullets are jamming into the lands and sticking. Nothing weird, strange or magic about it, your throat is simply not long enough for that complete round. Easiest correction is to have you barrel re-throated to use that bullet, but if it is a 1:9 it probably will not work, 1:7 will.
    More shooting, less typing.

Savage was shut down for their annual maintenance from before Christmas until after New Years. I seriously doubt that your trouble ticket is first in line. Be patient grasshopper, they'll get to you in due time.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    The situation that you described sounds like they are loaded too long for the throat in your chamber. Can you measure the overall length of that 80gr cartridge? Forget about the ogive stuff for now since you don't have the tools, just the overall length would tell us a lot.

Basic Member
    Shall do tonight when I return home. Cannot do now since those in control frown on people carrying ammo in New York City.