Thread: .338 and RE 33

.338 and RE 33

Hello all, I have been loading for my .338 Lapua Magnum for a couple of years now it is a savage 111 Long range hunter 26" 1-9.25 twist I love it. I am working on shooting it accurately at a mile (this will take some time). I have worked up a load using IMR 7828 I am getting consistent 4 shot groups of 1.268 at 300 yards I know this will spread out with distance (work in progress) the 7828 is not filling the case up like I would like and I would like to get some more velocity, Has anyone been using the Alliant 33? I see that it takes more powder and I would like to get some input about the powder (pros or cons) before I buy and stat working up with a new powder. Thanks in advance.
    NRA Life member since 1980, NAHC Life Member
    NAFC Life Member and a fair shot.

Basic Member
    I bought a large jug of RL33 about a year ago. Ive since traded i think 3# away in exchange for Retumbo which we use a lot of.
    With any of the slower burning powders barrel legnth will play a role in the velocity numbers you get. We have used the rl33 in
    the 338x378 cartridge with 300 gr bullets. At least at this point it hasent been the best choice for us in that cartridge. Weve also tried rl25.
    So far retumbo has given the best results as for both velocity and accuracy. That said ive been told that rl33 works well in the Lapua
    case by a record holding shooter. His is the improved version case but im not sure of his barrel legnth or velocity. He did tell me it
    works better either at or very close to the rifleing and suggested we try that also. So based on that it would no doubt be worth trying it
    in your gun. Im very familiar with 7828 as ive used it for years in some of my guns. I dont feel it would be a choice id make in your gun
    however. Id think h1000 might be better.

RL33 really should have labeled RL27, it is not that much slower than RL25, I go to RL50 to see any difference.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    RL33 really should have labeled RL27, it is not that much slower than RL25, I go to RL50 to see any difference.

Dean
    That could well be Dean, ive not used any of them enough to make that assesment. For sure id not be reccomending RL50 as one he should try
    though especially with the 26" barrel. The only guys i know personaly who use that are using it in 50s.

I've got some Retumbo and RL33 to try in my 338 Edge, but so far, the only thing I've loaded is H1000. I'd like to get a load nailed down for that first, then start experimenting.